AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new Pioneer 1015 yesterday. I have got to say, I am impressed with the Auto Cal and EQ, and many iof the other features. I upgraded from an old VSX-D607S, which was one of the first DD Pioneer AVRs. I have to say I am not as impressed with sound quality and levels as I thought I would be. It seems to have integrated my sub into the whole system a little more, thats the biggest difference I have heard so far. Being able to customize each each separatly is a great feature also.

Anyone else not extremely thrilled with the 1015?

I was 100% sure this one the perfect one before I hooked it up.

Now re-thinking, but don't feel like buying 4 more AVRs to test before I find the right one.

If you didn't like the 1015 what did you get instead?

Denon 1905?

Yamaha 5860?

HK 235?

·
Premium Member
6,887 Posts
The 1015 is an awesome value: lots of features, good power and excellent sound. If you're not thrilled, it might have to do with unrealistic expectations.

·
Registered
641 Posts
nitz, I hope you have very thick skin. Be prepared to hear more so from those defending their purchase than those who are dissatisfied (lots of those too) w/ the Pioneer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats fine, I said in a different post that maybe I was expecting too much for $500. I could not find anywhere to actually demo the unit before purchase. I have demo the Denon 3805 and Rotel 1056. Of course they are both much more expensive. I understand that part of it. But the last time I bought a reciever was about 1999. Just from reading lots of threads I figured I would hear much better sound from the kind of upgrade I did.

Speakers are:

B&W 601 S3 All Around

B&W LCR60 S3 Center

Dayton DVC 12" Sub

Rythmick Audio 350W plate Amp

Maybe its all about too high of expectations. Just wondering if Denon is better quality, but less features.

·
Registered
621 Posts
For the price, you cant do better than 1015TX. If you're not satisfied, I suggest you try to buy an additional power amp (2-5 channel) and use it for the fronts to get some load off the receiver.

·
Premium Member
6,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowboy
nitz, I hope you have very thick skin. Be prepared to hear more so from those defending their purchase than those who are dissatisfied (lots of those too) w/ the Pioneer.
I don't own one, but have auditioned one extensively. For the dough, it's an amazing value. No defense necessary: it does its job very well, is THX certified, and can be had under $500. Not much more to say.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Not exactly sure what your expectations were. Your setup was improved with MCACC resulting in better sub integration. Power difference is negligible and not even sure if you were using all of the power in your first setup. It does not sound like you stepped up to 7.1 to take advantage of PLIIx and straight DD has not changed much at all, if any, over the years so the differences would be small.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno
I don't own one, but have auditioned one extensively. For the dough, it's an amazing value. No defense necessary: it does its job very well, is THX certified, and can be had under $500. Not much more to say.
Nothing against you personally tonygeno. I was speaking in general. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I went from a Sony 965 (5.1) to this, so I was very impressed. I really was looking at the HK7300, but was above my budget. For the money I spent, I think the 1015 is great... but I have no reference to judge it against because I did not try out the lower end HKs or the Yammys.

My next upgrade will be an external amp and I will use the 1015 as the Pre/Pro. If you have the money, the upper end HKs are really great, IMO.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Quote:
I could not find anywhere to actually demo the unit before purchase. I have demo the Denon 3805 and Rotel 1056. Of course they are both much more expensive. I understand that part of it.
your B&W's will greatly appreciate the differance Rotel will make.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Nitz-

I recently bought an HTR5860. I watch mostly movies and definitely think it's a great receiver. From what I've been able to gather it's very very close to the RX-V757 in terms of whats in the guts of the receiver. I audtioned a 757 and a 2105 back to back. I liked the bottom end and warmer tone of the 2105, but the HTR5860 was just too good of a deal to back away from when compared to similar offerings for the 2105 or 1905 for that matter.

I did my own calibrations at first, just to see if YPAO w/auto EQ was worth it....and it definitely was.

I recommend the 5860/757, at least for movie watching, I'll try some music later on this week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.