AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabt /forum/post/0

Ati will be selling a cable card device for the pc soon... supposedly it will only work on vista...

I thought all cable card enabled devices could only be purchased as part of a complete system? For those of us build-our-own types, I'm hoping that the ATI device provides a glimmer of hope that we could build our own HTPC with cable card capabilities.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie /forum/post/0

I thought all cable card enabled devices could only be purchased as part of a complete system? For those of us build-our-own types, I'm hoping that the ATI device provides a glimmer of hope that we could build our own HTPC with cable card capabilities.

Yeah his statement was a bit misleading. ATI is/will be selling them exclusively to the vendors.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I found this included in the ATI press release but I'll believe it when I see it. At least the non-OEM part.

"The first versions of the OCUR will be provided exclusively to OEMs and not for retail sale, but ATI will eventually release a product directly to consumers."

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interesting release from CES....

For Immediate Release - Download [.PDF 25KB]
NIVEUS MEDIA'S DIGITAL CABLE RECEIVER BRINGS CABLECARD CAPABILITIES TO WINDOWS VISTA-BASED MEDIA CENTERS

Niveus' external dual CableCARD digital cable receiver box brings the most advanced HD programming, DVR and functionality to the company's 2007 media centers.

Las Vegas, NV - CES 2007 - January 8-11 - Venetian Suite - Niveus Media, Inc., an award-winning manufacturer of digital entertainment solutions for the connected home, announces the Niveus Digital Cable Receiver. An external dual digital cable receiver box that supports hundreds of high definition digital channels, the Niveus Digital Cable Receiver offers a modular, seamless solution to achieve the highest performance from the company's digital cable compatible media servers, based on Windows Vista Ultimate.

The ultimate accessory for Niveus' 2007 media server lineup, including the Summit Series' Rainier Edition and Denali Edition and the Pro Series' n7 and n9, the Niveus Digital Cable Receiver features two internal CableCARD receivers. With a local cable subscription, the CableCARD can be obtained, inserted into the Niveus Digital Cable Receiver, and easily connected to the Windows Vista Ultimate-based Media Center PC via a USB 2.0 cable. With unprecedented functionality, CableCARD solution and Windows Media Center capabilities in Windows Vista users can view and record premium high definition digital content (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Discovery, ESPN, etc.) without the use of a set-top box, leveraging powerful DVR functionality, and a robust electronic program guide.

We're thrilled with the success we and our partners have had with Windows Media Center PCs, said Mike Sievert, corporate vice president, Windows at Microsoft. And we see that success increasing as it becomes an integrated experience within Windows Vista. We're excited that Niveus Media continues to raise the bar with innovative solutions such as their Digital Cable Receiver that brings CableCARD support to anyone running Windows Vista Home Premium or Ultimate editions.

Amongst the first companies to provide a Windows Vista Ultimate-based system capturing CableCARD's advanced content and capabilities, Niveus' external design of the Niveus Digital Cable Receiver ensures the ultimate in performance and flexibility when storing, managing, and accessing, via a powerful media center interface, all digital media. The secure digital USB connection 2.0 (480Mbps of throughput) provides ample capacity to handle dual HD streams. As digital cable receiver boxes typically generate high levels of heat, Niveus' receives proper cooling to maintain a strong, quality television signal. Additional receivers will enable the recording of multiple high definition programs simultaneously.

Ensuring premium video quality, all Niveus media servers are ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) Certified. Niveus Digital Cable Receiver is compatible with any of Niveus' media servers featuring the Windows Vista Ultimate operating system with CableCARD capabilities. The Niveus Digital Cable Receiver will be available following the January 30, 2007 launch of Microsoft's Windows Vista.

At CES 2007, Niveus Media will be demonstrating their CableCARD-enabled, Windows Vista Ultimate-based products at the company's suite at the Venetian, as well as in the Microsoft Booth on the show floor. For more information on Niveus Media, Inc., please visit www.niveusmedia.com .

Press Contact: Caster Communications, Inc. at 401.792.7080

Katie Short - [email protected]

Kimberly Lancaster - [email protected]

For digital images log on to www.castercomm.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.