AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trying to start an argument or debate about who SHOULD set up your PJ, I'm simply asking who DID set up your PJ.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I did. :D

Marc

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I did also.

I should be shot.

;)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Me - but of course with the help of the folks here

Hmm . . . and like many, still seem to be setting it up - is a "continuous improvement process" :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had Terry set mine up. I figured I should at least know how good it can get right from the start. Looks fantastic, BTW!

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The forum software doesn't allow you to create a poll until after you start a thread. I struggled with the poll options (still not happy with them) so the thread was up for quite a while before I finished and submitted the poll. Sorry about that!

I set up my PJ and enjoyed the learning process. I understand that many have no interest in doing it themselves. I also understand that the GOOD pros , of which there are several on this board, will do a much better job than most, if not all of us hacks. So lets not debate that! It's been argued to death. No need to rehash it.

·
Hello, World!
2,471 Posts
Initially set up by pros but then I taught myself how over the years. I have the luxury of time, which a pro often doesn't, so have been able to outperform the pro setups done on my machine.

Mark

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I bought my XG750 from a local government liquidation for dirt! cheap. It had toasty tubes so I bought new ones, re-tubed and calibrated myself the best I could with my limited knowledge and equipment and from reading until my eyes bled everything I could on AVS.

I would love to have a pro over to see how much more can be extracted from it. When is the next time your in Edmonton Curt? :D

Brad

·
Registered
165 Posts
My 2500 ECP was also once government owned. I got the two for $80! One was junk but the ECP had potential, thanks to the help from you guys I fixed the PJ (loose chip on convergence board) I spent about thirty minutes last night re-converging and focusing the lenses and messing with The RGB focus pots. Now I don't know what your high end dollar marquees and 808's look like but my mouth fell to the floor last night when I popped in "A sharks Tale" so see what this projector was capapble of! The color was amazing and it was perfectly focused. I'd say there's alot of satisfaction you get out of setting up a PJ yourself, even though I'd love to have a pro show me the ropes if I had the money!

Trent

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme
I did also.

I should be shot.

;)

I'll supply the gun. :D

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I guess that I'm a "pro". I've sure as hell set-up alot of projectors. Now that the customers are all using resolutions like 2048x1536 the adjustments become more and more critical. The best tool that I've seen for set-up is the Microvision system. It lets you look at the light profile on a monitor so you can easily see the peak light level and the peak black level while displaying one pixel on, one pixel off resolution patterns. It's amazing how small of an adjustment of the lens focus will effect the resolution. The test set will let you adjust the electronic focus on the knats ass, too. When finished the resolution can easily be 20 or 30% better than when done by "eye".

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Have done a few self-calibrations and was "okay" with a Marquee. Struggled with a few of its quirks but managed good focus corner to corner with maxed out rasters.

The new XGLC will be calibrated by Doug Baisey though, because I want that last 10-25% out of the picture. Will probably contact him next week about coming over within the next 30 days in fact. The new tubes should have about 200 hours on them by then. :)

Btw, there is alot more to calibration than just astig and focus I think. There is also color and greyscale and getting the best possible picture for each input, because one setup doesn't compliment every input. Some of that setup just can't be done without the proper (expensive) tools.

·
Hello, World!
2,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tse
The test set will let you adjust the electronic focus on the knats ass, too. When finished the resolution can easily be 20 or 30% better than when done by "eye".
Perhaps the gain is more like 2 or 3%? 20 or 30% is too large not to be able to get closer to by eye with standard test patterns...

Mark

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks to this forum, I managed to get quite a good picture out of my NEC XG110LC.

But I am not good with a scope and was more than happy that Bjoern Roy stopped by and went through all service settings with his scope and did some tweaking on pots, I would have never thought of.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tse
The best tool that I've seen for set-up is the Microvision system.
I Googled Microvision and pulled up a lot of different stuff. What exactly are you using?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Terry did my XG 1100 when I owned it. Huge improvement -- well worth the modest cost.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.