AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marantz NR1608 receiver versus James Loudspeaker M1000 subwoofer amp. Passive James powerpipe subwoofer.

Which device should I set to do the crossover for small LCR speakers ? James can go into “sub” mode as opposed to LFE mode, and you can specific the crossover as well as how many dB/octave .. but it is being fed by the sub pre-outs of the Marantz. So I am not sure how to configure the Marantz it this mode.

Alternatively I can put James sub amp into LFE mode and set the Marantz to do the crossover by putting LCR as “small “ speakers and specifying a crossover frequency.

Which is preferred ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
some say to use both xovers.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Sub in lfe mode and let the AVR sort it out.

Doing it on both you really need to know what you are doing and what you want to achieve and is not something many want to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
26,161 Posts
Marantz NR1608 receiver versus James Loudspeaker M1000 subwoofer amp. Passive James powerpipe subwoofer.

Which device should I set to do the crossover for small LCR speakers ? James can go into “sub” mode as opposed to LFE mode, and you can specific the crossover as well as how many dB/octave .. but it is being fed by the sub pre-outs of the Marantz. So I am not sure how to configure the Marantz it this mode.

Alternatively I can put James sub amp into LFE mode and set the Marantz to do the crossover by putting LCR as “small “ speakers and specifying a crossover frequency.

Which is preferred ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We also have a thread (sticky) on the Audssey calibration software: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2376770-official-audyssey-thread-part-ii.html

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sub in lfe mode and let the AVR sort it out.

Doing it on both you really need to know what you are doing and what you want to achieve and is not something many want to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1, let the AVR do its thing for the crossover.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Adamg (Ret-Navy)

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
1,957 Posts
Hi Blake,

IMHO, set crossovers in the AVR. The AVR is the Brains of the operation, so if you set the crossover in the Sub. The AVR will not know what you did and will not properly route the matching Frequencies to the correct Speakers/Subs. This will also eliminate the possibilities of having conflicting or de-optimizing crossovers between the AVR and the Subs.

I am not familiar with your AVR. So the above assumes the AVR has correction software like Audyssey and is capable of setting individual speaker crossover points. Bass management is always better when done by a capable AVR. Just my opinion Sir.

Good luck. If you have REW and like to tweak and experiment. Then you could try each option and measure what performs best. I did the latter myself and the AVR always won the day in terms of smoother crossover transitions in the FR.

Reactions: nakkiran
1 - 7 of 7 Posts