AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
curious to know who still owns a z1 and how many hours they have on their pj. are you still happy with it?

i havn't posted on this forum in ages but thought i would check out whats new. i still have my trusty old Z1 that i bought back in early 2003. not sure how many hours i've logged (can't even remember how to check) but i'm still on my first bulb and it seems to be going strong. as much as the z1 has served me well, i'm almost hoping it goes soon so i can upgrade. not even sure where to start as i havn't kept up to date on the newest budget pj's. oh well i guess i've have to do some reading here and projector central.

· Registered
4,470 Posts
If you haven't kept up to date on new projectors you are in for a shocker. The quality per dolllar spent is in another league.

The Mitsubishi HD1000U is pretty much the most popular unit around. Well, that and the Infocus 4805 and Infocus IN72, but those are 480 punits. Still better than the Z1 though.

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about this optoma hd70? my next pj is going to be dlp, are the lcd units equally as popular these days? and what about tom the guitarman. last time i read one of his posts he was testing a new pj every few weeks

· Registered
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabird /forum/post/0

curious to know who still owns a z1 and how many hours they have on their pj. are you still happy with it?

i havn't posted on this forum in ages but thought i would check out whats new. i still have my trusty old Z1 that i bought back in early 2003. not sure how many hours i've logged (can't even remember how to check) but i'm still on my first bulb and it seems to be going strong. as much as the z1 has served me well, i'm almost hoping it goes soon so i can upgrade. not even sure where to start as i havn't kept up to date on the newest budget pj's. oh well i guess i've have to do some reading here and projector central.

I have just recently purchased the Z5 along with the Toshiba XA2 HD DVD and I am extremely satisfied with the PQ from ALL content input. Purchased the Z5 from Visual Apex & the XA2 from Amazon.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/sa...-z5-1029.shtml

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sanyo_plv-z5.htm

The Z5 PQ was outstanding right out of the box with minimal tweaking & no calibration.

Good Luck with your decision !

· Registered
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson /forum/post/0

If you haven't kept up to date on new projectors you are in for a shocker. The quality per dolllar spent is in another league.

No question there. On the other hand, I can still coax a decent CGI image from mine. (if and when I take it out of the closet).

· Registered
406 Posts
Be careful what you wish for in going to DLP. I started with the Z1 (my neighbors are still using it, they love it), then went to NEC HT1000, HT1100 with lens, BenQ 8700+ and rainbows everywhere with all three. My wife never saw the rainbows but always complained about eye fatigue/strain with our dlp units. We then went the LCOS g10, g15 route with lumagen HDP and the pq was smooth but lacked in the contrast department. So, ended up with a Z3 and still using it with a Toshiba XA2 (best purchase ever) and the pq is great. I will be upgrading to 1080p soon but waiting to see how the new sony vw60 pans out.

That said, you can get a Z5 for near 1K and from what I hear about it's improvements over the Z3, I bet you would be very happy and not risk the rainbow/eye-fatigue risk with DLP.

· Registered
1,032 Posts
I am still using a Z1. Approaching 1000hrs. Hold down on the up arrow to display the hours.

· Registered
182 Posts
I'm still using my Z1! Sde is nonexistent from my viewing distance but I want to get a bigger screen soon so, I'll probably be getting the Z5. I have had good luck with Sanyo products unlike I have had with Panasonic or Mitsubishi.

· Banned
65 Posts
Sell the Z1 NOW!!!!!

Get $300 on ebay for it and take your money plus a measly $125 and buy a IN72 from Tigerdirect for $425. It is 10 times the projector. My brother who ownes a Z1 is doing this but don't wait because the Z1 will not fetch $300 a few months from now.

· Registered
361 Posts
Me too still with one. I figure I bought my last bulb earlier this year (unless they miraculalously drop to $150 or so). It is really amazing what can be had today for what we paid 4.5-5 years ago. I think$1k (maybe 1.2) is the sweet spot these days.

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBrian /forum/post/0

I am still using a Z1. Approaching 1000hrs. Hold down on the up arrow to display the hours.

thanks, i'm at 915 hours, knock on wood!

i'll have to check out the mits and that in72. its great that prices have continued to come down and the technology continues to improve. i know if i start lurking the forum and start seeing some screen shoots of the new pjs companred to the z1 i'll end up buying a new one, so for now i'll stick to the z1 and wait for the bulb to die and just stay clear of those screenshots

have screens changed much over the years? i have a dalite HP which has served me well.

· Registered
904 Posts
Check this out.. Bought my Z1 brand new years ago and still use it mostly during major sporting events. Original bulb and only 238 hours total use!

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd /forum/post/0

I still watching movies with my ol'faithful Z1 with 12000 hours on the original bulb. Must admitted that I am itching to upgrade to the Mit1000hd for more brightness and better resolution.

12,000 hours, wow thats a lot of hours especially on the original bulb. thats great.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.