AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the local high-end store, which has a wall of Panasonic/Pioneer/Sony plasmas, Loewe TVs etc.

I notice they's added a new item: a strange new floor-standing display. Looked like a new futuristic DLP rear projection display: 52" I think, with super modern styling (black, with a sort of flair to the vertical line of the bezel - damn, can't remember if it was a Hitachi or what..)

It displayed all the failings of such devices: washed out picture from most angles; absolutely brutal brightness variations with any head movement at all, etc.

I look at the price tag: $18,000......

$18,000.....

What? Gotta be some new type of technology instead, or a typo.

I ask the salesman if this was indeed the correct price.

"Oh yeah, that's a new DLP rear projection unit. Absolutely fabulous. Stunning isn't it?"

"Uh...no." I saw his face deflate...like he'd been "caught."

"C'mon, look at the thing" I said. "It looks washed out from almost every angle. You gotta put your head in a vice to get a decent picture. And it's surrounded by plasmas of virtually the same size that put out a clearly superior picture from every usable angle."

"But the aesthetics, great design...." he offered.

"Aesthetics? Anyone concerned about aesthetics would buy one of those slimmer, sleeker plasmas hanging off all your walls. They're 1/3 it's size, with a better picture. This beast looses out on every single count."

The salesman knew it of course, and he just shrugged.

What annoys me is that, this guy was completely ready to try and sell me one of these ridiculous devices if I didn't have an ounce of gray matter.

What amazes me is, given the competition from plasmas, why any company would produce such an expensive, loosing effort; why any store would try and sell one surrounded by superior plasmas, and why any consumer looking at that screen size would consider buying one over a plasma.

It's not like it's cheaper than a plasma. It's at least as expensive, bigger, and looks worse. What IS the market for these things?

Sorry, my mind is just a bit boggled at the moment. Had to get it off my chest.

Rich H.

·
Registered
166 Posts
they probably have one in stock. all they need is one irrational customer out of millions who flow in and out of their store to complete the sale. one guy with less intelligence than you and too lazy to "refill the plasma gas every 6 months (circuit city humor)" to make a decent profit margin on the sale. some people think bigger is better even with a tv.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I'll take two.

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Rich:

You forgot to mention rainbows and eye fatigue some of us get from DLP.:) Eighteen kilobucks? That's crazy. I know 52" DLP RPTVs will be coming out early next year for $5K. That's more like it. Other than lack of burn-in, they don't seem to offer any advantages over plasma.

Too bad you did not catch the brand.

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should mention that the $18,000 is a Canadian price. About the same for a Pioneer Elite 50" plasma here, at least at this store.

Rich H.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I notice you're from Toronto.

This wouldn't happen to be at Bay Bloor Radio would it?

I wouldn't mind going for a first hand laugh at this thing.

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sumdumgai,

Yes, it's at Bay Bloor, 2nd floor, underneath the Pioneer Elite 50" plasma.

Sorry I can't remember the manufacturer.

It's not that the image is horrible per se. It's actually comparably sharp to the other displays. It's just that it suffers terribly in off-axis viewing, and even front on it looks washed out. Check it out and tell my what you think.

Rich H.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It wouldn't be the new SIM2 RTX, would it? BBR carries SIM2 products and "super modern styling " plus DLP sounds like it.....

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I saw that set at CEDIA. I thought the picture was great and the styling was stunning.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If it's based on the HD2 chip it is a 1280x720 16:9 display.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ronald K
It looks like it has a 3:4 ratio.
Look's are deceiving.

Quote:
Aspect ratio selectable via remote control: 16:9, 4:3,
Harley

·
Registered
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HuskerHarley
Look's are deceiving.

Harley
Notice he said 3:4 and not 4:3... yes sir, from the photo it

certainly does look taller than wide.

When I first saw it, it was like deja vu... then I remembered...

ahh, that was the droid from some black and white sci-fi

movie in the 50's was it not?

;)

Dreamaster

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.