AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to move my speakers off stands (fronts and surrounds). A total of 4 speakers (all Paradigm Atoms).

I need a recommendation in the Philadelphia metropolitan area for someone (or some company) to run the wires through the walls from the back of my receiver to the designated front and surround locations and wall-mount the speakers.

Can anyone give me some recommendations?

Thanks.

Eric

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I just find a good electrician..................one that does work on the side would be better........Do you have a basement?

Mike

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeRP
I just find a good electrician..................one that does work on the side would be better........Do you have a basement?

Mike
Actually, this room is the ground floor of the house (there is no basement). It sits on a concrete slab -- so it won't be easy to do the work. The walls you have the studs in the way -- the ceiling you have the beams? in the way.

Electricians would wall-mount speakers?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Well, I'm an electrician, and I do all kinds of low-voltage work, too.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Fine
Well, I'm an electrician, and I do all kinds of low-voltage work, too.
Larry:

How much would you charge (or an electrician in the Philadelphia area charge) for this kind of work? In other words, roughly what should I expect to pay - -either per hour or fixed charge. If per hour, what rate per hour and if a fixed rate -- what would that be?

Should I expect an electrician to fix/paint over any holes made in dry-wall as a result of running the speaker wires? Or do I need someone else to pretty up the walls when an electrician is done?

Also, how does one find a "good electrician". I know I could go to the yellow pages, but that is a crap-shoot. My neighbors are young home-owners too, and are almost as clueless as me when it comes to finding people to do work in their homes -- so a recommendation would not be easy.

Can YOU recommend anyone in the Philadelphia area that does this kind of work? Feel like coming up from Virginia yourself to do this?

Did you know that the real Larry Fine (err, the one from the Stooges) was from Philadelphia? You could visit his birthplace (I think there is a plaque on the house in South Philadelphia) if you come to Philly.

(Better yet, I just discovered that there is a huge mural of the Stooge at his birthplace, check out this link:

Larry Fine Mural

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Patching drywall and running wires through walls isn't that difficult. :D

Why not do it yourself and save some bucks?

Fish tape is sold at lowes and home depot along with speaker wire. Wall mounting is trivial with omni-mounts, a stud-finder, and a screwdriver.

Can you get into the attic above the room? If so, punch a hole in the wall by the receiver to run the wires in, a big hole near the ceiling (so you can drill up through the wall into the attic), run the wires where they need to go, punch a hole in the walls where you want the speakers, run fish tape into the hole, attach speaker wire to fish-tape with some electical tape (or other means), pull fish tape. Boom, the wire is run. Put some fancy boxes in the wall if you want, attach binding posts, cover holes. Patch drywall with some drywall tape and joint compound. Sand, primer, paint. Then, use stud finder to locate stud near wire jacks, place mount, attach mount, attach speaker to mount, connect wires, and you are done. :)

Believe me, it sounds worse than it is. If you take your time, it isn't even that frustrating. Having a helper is a god-send though!

Sorny

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I agree with Sorny here. I just finished up running some wires in my basement for my HT setup. Although it was a lot easier with the drop ceiling for the rear surrounds. Anyway, if you have any buddies that are handy, they should be able to help you no problem. I got by without using any fishtape for running the speaker wires down the wall, but something like fish tape or, at Home Depot, these things called glow sticks (I believe that's what they are called) or something like that work well. They are 3 long sticks that are flexible enough to run through walls, ceilings, and even under carpet. As posted earlier, all you'll need are some basic tools, and a few extras, which shouldn't set you back for no more than $100. Tell a buddy you'll buy him a few beers next time out and you have a nice weekend project on your hands. BTW, if you hire a home installer from a local hi-end shop, you're looking at a neighborhood price of $100/hr easily.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Sorny
Patching drywall and running wires through walls isn't that difficult. :D

Why not do it yourself and save some bucks?

Fish tape is sold at lowes and home depot along with speaker wire. Wall mounting is trivial with omni-mounts, a stud-finder, and a screwdriver.

Can you get into the attic above the room? If so, punch a hole in the wall by the receiver to run the wires in, a big hole near the ceiling (so you can drill up through the wall into the attic), run the wires where they need to go, punch a hole in the walls where you want the speakers, run fish tape into the hole, attach speaker wire to fish-tape with some electical tape (or other means), pull fish tape. Boom, the wire is run. Put some fancy boxes in the wall if you want, attach binding posts, cover holes. Patch drywall with some drywall tape and joint compound. Sand, primer, paint. Then, use stud finder to locate stud near wire jacks, place mount, attach mount, attach speaker to mount, connect wires, and you are done. :)

Believe me, it sounds worse than it is. If you take your time, it isn't even that frustrating. Having a helper is a god-send though!

Sorny
What you describe to me is the equivalent of building my own car. I need to hire someone.

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
The best place in the Philadelphia area bar none is

Soundex

1100 Easton Rd

Willow Grove, Pa

1-215-659-8815

Ask for Frank Betz

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by oneobgyn
The best place in the Philadelphia area bar none is

Soundex

1100 Easton Rd

Willow Grove, Pa

1-215-659-8815

Ask for Frank Betz
I'm aware of Soundex -- but as far as I know, they are one of those higher-end places that won't do much for you unless you also buy equipment from them. They don't make their real money on installing stuff, they really make it on the electronics sales. In this case, I have the speakers, etc. already.

Plus, my sister, who spent about $30,000.00 at Soundex recently for a huge Plasma TV, B & W Speakers and the works for a complete home theater, had a bad experience with their installers. They took forever to finish, didn't do some things correctly and were reading manuals for the equipment on the job -- and yet charging her on an hourly basis.

I had to show my sister how to enable DTS in her DVD player -- as the installers didn't take the time to do that before they left to come back a week later and finish up other things.

In any event, I guess it can't hurt to call them to see what they say.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.