AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Wondering who here is/are using plate amps for their DIY subs?

The reviews on the BASH300 and 500 seem pretty good other than the need to create an internal enclosure for the electronics side if you want to stuff the enclosure full of insulation.

Also, I've never heard of this brand, but they seem to have good reviews (which may mean nothing) from Parts Express:

http://www.parts-express.com/yung-s...ofer-plate-amplifier-module-no-boost--301-508
http://www.parts-express.com/yung-s...-amplifier-module-with-6-db-at-25-hz--301-514

I have a brother visiting from the US soon, so may get him to bring me some things up that are a lot cheaper than I can get here in Canada.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking to build a sealed sub with a 15" Dayton. Not sure the exact dimensions yet, need to model it. Probably something like a 17" cube.

I want the convenience of the plate amp. I'm not going to build more than one sub for the foreseeable future. Don't want to mess with fan mods, noise, extra cables, room for the pro amp etc. That's just me. I know many will disagree but that's just what I'm looking for now.

What is CSS? Link?

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
For my BF THTLP's, I use BASH 300's, the sub design falls off steeply @ 20 mol , so says Bill, and the amps have a built in but adjustable (soldering involved) HPF around 18 hz., no hesitation about those buys
I do run one sub off one channel of an inuke6000 but after XT32 and the sub eq by the x5200, it is difficult to objectively quantify improvement
MAX runs off the other channel and is going to blast away no matter what and it is GREAT! (thanks John)
The DSP for that sub- time well spent
Edge of tomorrow I forgot to demo for sdurani, adude and fookoo(02)? (Carl) when they visited 2 weeks ago, to see the improvements of the new L/C/R lineup so that will be saved for another day, probably in conjunction with completing the 2 Lowarhorn cabs wrt , 2 UXL's from the group buy, in the first group( is it soup yet?)
there is already another inuke6k on standby for those 2 subs
A similar question for your line of thinking , if the BASH amps are enough for your projected power
why not go for the pro amp and get the DSP too?
If others here can make a good case for it, I'd love to run the 2 BF subs off an inuke1000 with the DSP

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Reactions: lknhomeaudio

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I have several with plate amps... A dual 12" Polk subwoofer with a 1000-watt Dayton amp... A 12" RS315HF-4 with a 500-watt SA amp, a 15" RS390HO-15 with a 500-watt DA amp, a Polk 12" sub with a 250-watt DA amp, a rebuilt PolkPSW650 with a 250-watt DA amp, and a BASH 500-watt amp and another 500-watt DA amp just sitting in their boxes...

I like plate amps because it is a complete sub box... Don't have to worry about setting different drivers with a external amp...

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Nothing but plate amps in all my subs. I even run my IB with a plate amp.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Great, thanks everyone.

So is everyone with plate amps here modifying their high pass filters? Or just living with them?

From what I understand, it basically means that if I use a plate amp with a high pass filter I won't be getting anything appreciable under 20 Hz (in the case of the BASH amps).

And why is that worse when the sub is sealed vs ported?

Lastly....do you need some sort of EQ if I am building a sealed sub with a plate amp? Or is it just, model it, build it, connect it, and play?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
So is everyone with plate amps here modifying their high pass filters? Or just living with them?
Mine doesn't have one.
And why is that worse when the sub is sealed vs ported?
Look at the excursion chart at full power when you model the speaker and you'll see if you should have a high pass or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts