AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some mentions in PJ reviews of how there's more inputs (of the same type) compared to another, etc.. What I'm wondering is..

Who actually uses, e.g. both HDMI inputs, or both component inputs? Specifically with a projector, most end up running a long cable of each type (e.g. I have an HDMI and component cable going to mine).

Just curious what others do, and thinking the manufacturers could save costs on that and/or put it into more important features.

· Registered
13,326 Posts
I ran 2 HDMI, 2 Component, svideo and composite to my projector.

When I help others install their stuff I am insistant on the same.

I am very distrusting of the "one cable" solution. I swear everybody I know that went that route changed it eventually.

· Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you had issues with it in the past? When have you needed to use the 2nd cable(s)? I think in my future dedicated HT, I'll run one of each in a large conduit with pull string to add more if necessary (but doubtful that I'll ever need to until the next cable format comes out).

· Registered
784 Posts
I ran 2 HDMI, one component and one S-Video. I have a Sony VPL-HW10 PJ and both HDMI inputs are in use since my AVR is pre-1080P (Denon 5805). I feed the blu-ray player direct to the PJ via one of the HDMI cables, the other HDMI input is connected to the Denon, which switches DirecTV HDVRs & DVD changer. I have both the 7.1 analog outs of the Panny blu-ray player connected to the Denon as well as the optical (since the HDMI from it is not connected to the Denon).

I have a suspended ceiling in my HT (which I despise, but was necessary due to piping) so removing a couple of panels will allow installation of additional cables.

· Registered
10 Posts
Im using VGA and HDMI at the moment, both to the same computer. Reason is simple, old games use 4:3 resolution, and when using the HDMI input the image gets stretched. The zoom button on my HS51A is disabled when using HDMI.

So, whenever a 4:3 display is required, I just switch to VGA and all is good.

ELP

· Registered
956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimj /forum/post/15415359

I've seen some mentions in PJ reviews of how there's more inputs (of the same type) compared to another, etc.. What I'm wondering is..

Who actually uses, e.g. both HDMI inputs, or both component inputs? Specifically with a projector, most end up running a long cable of each type (e.g. I have an HDMI and component cable going to mine).

Just curious what others do, and thinking the manufacturers could save costs on that and/or put it into more important features.

Good question. I only use a single HDMI cable, and take good care of the connectors and cable dressing. HDMI connectors suck. Reviewers seem to like lots of inputs, but I don't see the value in that - its not like a receiver.

Nick

· Registered
682 Posts
One reason for 2x HDMI ports is so that you can have separate calibration settings for each. My PS3 and 360 have slightly different brightness/contrast settings.

However my projector allows me to save multiple configs per input, so having 2x hdmi ports isnt very necessary for me.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
I run a set of everything simply to avoid pulling cables later for some reason. I only use one HDMI cable, the rest are zip tied tucked away neatly.

· Registered
274 Posts
I used to have about every type of cables running 12m+ to my ceiling mount pj. hdmi, vga->RGBHV 5 BNC, component, s-video, even composite. Adding the power cable it is about impossible to run everything down the mount extension tube. I end up using only hdmi or occasional vga. After changing my projector I remove every cable except hdmi. It is much neat this way.

I have a 3 in 1 out hdmi switch box. I have connect VHS, LD, Cable TV to my DVR with hdmi out to input 1. HTPC to input 2 and 1 spare port for game machine. Until I upgrade my receiver with hdmi switching, this 1 hdmi cable to pj solution works pretty well for me.

· Registered
206 Posts
Even though most people would be using a single cable going into the PJ (including me), with their receivers or HDMI switches doing the input switching there are quite a few people who mount their equipment at the back of their HT room near the PJ. So its not a problem for them to run multiple cables and would prefer having the option of multiple inputs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.