AVS Forum banner

Who wants 1080p72 from the Lumagen Radiance?

• Yes please! I'd definitely buy one if they supported it.

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Yes please! I'd seriously consider buying one if they did.

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • It wouldn't influence my decision buying a Radiance

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 1080p60 is enough.

Votes: 3 11.5%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been speaking with Jim over at Lumagen, trying to get him to allow 1080p72 output over rgbhv. The hardware could potentially support it, but it is not implemented yet in the software. He told me that they don't bother with such a high pixel clock as even the G90 is only capable of 1080p60. I told him that more of us are trying with 1080p72 to get away from Judder, and that there are talks of board mods to increase bandwidth in different projectors. eg. MP's new mods allow 1080p72. He told me currently it would only allow 1600x1080p72, but there is a small chance he would do a design for 1920x1080p72 if there was enough interest. Currently there is no VP on the market that I'm aware of that does this.

EDIT: If you want to put in your vote for this feature, go to the Radiance thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=723537

and say "Jim, I want 1920x1080p72 output"

EDIT: Please send your vote in to [email protected]

Option 1: Straight DAC with output to [email protected] Hertz for somewhere around $400 or

Option 2: Smart DAC that can output up to [email protected] Hertz for somewhere around $800

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I also have been trying to get them to add the blending feature since it has two out puts, but not sure if that is two seperate scaling engins. You blenders Get after him !

Athanasios

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Gino. Hi. I have not received ny Radiance, but I should by the end of the month. As I understand things, the Radiance only has HDMI outs, not RGBHV. The present chip set I think from reports by others (if the Radiance indeed uses that chip) will not do 72hz at 1920x1080p. Will any of the present chips do that? Moreover, one would need a DAC/stripper that would handle in out at the requested resolution and refresh rate. I do not think any such exist now. Once again a chip limitation.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark.... Jim says they plan to do an DAC option, to allow for rgbhv output. This is where he is thinking about the possibility of adding 1080p72. He says a possible solution may be sending 1080p24 to the DAC, and have it triple the frames to 1080p72.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
It really would not be an option. I think JRP has stated it would be an accessory addition. Obviously the radiance will output 1080p24 via HDMI. Any box by Lumagen could not strip under the HDMI license terms. Without stripping, where would that leave you?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Using Moome's boxes in front of the Lumagen

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'm so disapointed by the scaler companies.

some lure us with some fancy announcements and promise

to support 1080P 72 Hz and then it won't work.

why can't they use those chips on the PC graphicscards, they support

pixelclocks way over 300MHz

but we 'Vintage Analogue Video owners' are just not a force to be reckoned with

Michael

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
To be clear, JRP wanted the vote to be sent to Lumagen support.
[email protected]

I voted for option 2 & a added optional blending capability.

"A Smart DAC that can output up to 1920 X [email protected]

I would also encourage you to go ahead & develop an image blending solution".

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W /forum/post/0

A PC will do it right now Gino

I know it will, but will a PC do it with all my sources at a press of a button and away I go?

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/0

It really would not be an option. I think JRP has stated it would be an accessory addition. Obviously the radiance will output 1080p24 via HDMI. Any box by Lumagen could not strip under the HDMI license terms. Without stripping, where would that leave you?

Does it matter if it's an option.. at least I have the choice then. 1080p72 could potentially be used via moome's latest over HDMI. but in terms of rgbhv, you could use a stripper before hand, doesn't have to be Lumagen doing the stripping. And how about component sources.. why couldn't I output 1080p72? Or how about HDMI sources which don't have encryption? I have those, why couldn't I use it with them?

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Taken from the Radiance thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp /forum/post/0

Our HDMI output chips are rated at 165 MHz. So, this is not impossible for a digital display. For a CRT, assuming the total blank percentage for H and V, the clock needs to be much higher than this 165 MHz max. In addition, we design all out internal paths for 148.5 MHz. So this would be a large undertaking to up the clock rate in our FPGA, and it would steal gates from other functions.

Still, there may be a way. For a digital display that could take very short bank times, we would not be much over 150 MHz. Still a large task, so I'm not sure we would do this.

For CRT users we might be able to add a frame buffer inside the DAC box, and then set the RadianceXD to output [email protected] for film and [email protected] for video (or 50 Hertz in PAL countries). Then the DAC frame buffer could repeat frames for film to get to [email protected], and output the video at [email protected]

I have not designed the DAC yet. Since it is really for die-hard CRT projector folks with their G90's, and equivalent projectors, this might make sense. It would add significant cost to the DAC to be able to do this though.

So, here's a poll: If you plan to buy an external DAC from Lumagen for your Radiance, please vote from the following two options. If you don't plan to buy a Lumagen external DAC, please don't vote.

Option 1: Straight DAC with output to [email protected] Hertz for somewhere around $400.

Option 2: Smart DAC that can output up to [email protected] Hertz for somewhere around $800.

To avoid hijacking this thread, please email your votes to us at Lumagen support.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino AUS /forum/post/0

I know it will, but will a PC do it with all my sources at a press of a button and away I go?

Everything except DVHS, yes.

I will admit HD-DVD/BD is awkward due to crappy software currently.

And yes, it is a hell of a lot of work to set it all up.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how about xbox360? ps3? wii? can you easily add cable televison etc?? and a press of a button its all systems go? and a press of a button all aspect ratio controls are away, at correct resolutions and framerates? at calibrated temps and contrast/brightness etc? flipping between sources with ease? in a second?

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Well, you don't need an Xbox/Ps3 as you can play games on the PC (they are better anyway).

Foxtel is low res blurry crap, but yes you can capture that.

Correct resolutions/framerates etc are a PCs real strength. I'll send you my setup for playing HD material, I was going to send it anyway. It's basically Zoomplayer + Dscaler 1080i version decoder + Reclock + AC3filter. It's setup to do IVTC, and automatically changes resolution/refresh rate based on source material.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mark, I don't doubt the ability of a well setup HTPC... but it takes work, stability is not as strong as a dedicated VP I think, and I'd give the edge of convenience to the VP. Also, I'm not getting rid of my consoles... Not to mention, I'm watching HD-DVD now... I couldn't accept crappy software for the time being

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I am not trying to be difficult here. I do get the desire for 72hz fir CRT. 75 would be for digitals. Moome's card won't do 1080p 72 either. So if the lumagen puts out 1080p 24, then Moome's card would have to strip (i.e., it would have to have an HDMI in and out), Doesn't it just do HDMI/component in RGBHV out? If the Moome could strip HDMI 1080p 24 then Lumagen's DAC could convert 1080p 24 stripped to 1080p 72 RGBHV.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.