AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am not a complete Newbie. I feel like I've paid SOME dues because I have had an analog PJ thus far, but I know nothing about CRT other than my VPH 1042q. Well, the Sony has crapped out and I am going back and forth about what I should look at. I've thought about all of the following: Sony 1272, Barco 800 and 808, E-Home 8000. I'm pretty much leaning towards the E-Home because a number of people have mentioned in past postings that it has an excellent picture and maybe that it's a somewhat overlooked PJ.

On ther other hand, AV rental places are practically giving away the 1272, so I was wondering about what people think of that picture. So In the end I am thinking about between $600 (cheap 1272) and $2500 (nice M8000). The lower end PJ's to immediately be paired with a HTPC - the more expensive to wait for a HTPC till freezes over (well not that long).

What the hell should I do.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Colin-

Probably everyone on the forum has a personal preference, at least to some degree based on what they own...

I own a Sony 1252. My first PJ, and haven't directly compared it to the others you list. My comments are as follows:

* very easy to set up

* maintains convergence reasonably well

* good bang for buck

* Widely owned and supported in this forum

* Good picture up to its limitations, which (per consensus on the board) are about 600p in 16x9 aspect ratio.

I find this fits my needs to a 'T', but if I were to replace it (knowing what I'm getting into...), I might opt for something that supports 720p without overlapping scan lines.

Another general comment - Curt Palme is a VERY frequent poster in this forum, held in very high regard, and sells many used PJs. I would shoot him a note before I considered purchasing anything from (for example) ebay, etc. Search for his posts - he has too many positive feedback posts to count...

Happy shopping...

·
Registered
532 Posts
The 1272 is a very good PJ. It offers more electronic convergence points than the 1270. Uses 8 inch 07Mp tubes. The M8000 is brighter with a finer beam spot size and will do the 720P.

Your desicion should be based on your viewing habits like material, screen size, input device. Big screen=M8000

Thats a big price spread, and I dont think anyone would come into your theater and say "Ew, You shoulda got the M8000"

More important to me would be perfect tubes. I would spend the money on the one with the best tubes, be it $600 or $2500

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.