AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
If I can save up enough pennies, this cam would nicely compliment my SR11 and FX7.....unless of course I sell one of them. Which one should I sell? Lets see now, hummmmm. The FX7 was a gift (sentimental value) vs. the SR11 which is of handy size when not wanting to be too conspicuous. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan /forum/post/20862036

If I can save up enough pennies, this cam would nicely compliment my SR11 and FX7.....unless of course I sell one of them. Which one should I sell? Lets see now, hummmmm. The FX7 was a gift (sentimental value) vs. the SR11 which is of handy size when not wanting to be too conspicuous. Decisions, decisions.

Sell the FX7 - tape, 25 Mbit/s MPEG-2, no progressive, no XLR, pretty bad in low light.

·
Registered
217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/20862069

Sell the FX7 - tape, 25 Mbit/s MPEG-2, no progressive, no XLR, pretty bad in low light.

You make good points, but like I said, it has sentimental value; given to me by my best friends' widow. Otherwise, I would do it. Hate to get rid of the SR11 due to its compact size and good performance.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I think the VG10 was a real embarrassment. I mean it may have been the only consumer big chip camcorder but it had less features than Canon or Panasonic big chip still cameras. This time Sony actually releases something that's going to be very interesting. Heck, even the NEX7 is something that will be very interesting since it has full manual controls in the video mode unlike the NEX5 and it also have a very high quality view finder. Still, with all that said, for the people who's been reading up on the GH2 hack, you'd see that the results have already far surpassed the quality of a hacked GH1 and once these Sony cameras are released, the GH2 hack will be even more mature. I do wonder if the new Sony cameras can be hacked to get the same kind of results as the GH2. That would be very interesting.

Theirs also the case of aliasing and moire. As we know, the GH2 deals with it extremely well but theirs always a possibility that maybe these new Sony's will deal with it better. Who knows.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I did not care for the VG10 because it was piece of junk, but the VG20 fixed pretty much everything that the VG20 had wrong: frame rates, manual audio, LANC. What about built-in ND? I don't need it, but I like it a lot. $2200 MSRP for a kit with lens is not bad. When the HMC40 came out it sold for $2000 without XLR adapter. The XA10 is $2000, but has XLR.

I wonder will Panasonic create a rival for the VG20, it already has a similar chip in the GH1/GH2, and it has the AF100 with this chip. Why not making a prosumer video camera?

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Panasonic does have a patent for a camcorder with a micro four thirds sized chip.
http://www.43rumors.com/hot-patent-p...-sliding-grip/

Panasonic and Olympus has a patent for a golbal imaging chip which might be used in that camcorder or a GH3 although perhaps Panasonic would rather put that chip in the sucessor of the AF100 first.
http://www.43rumors.com/the-next-big...lobal-shutter/

Anyway, the NEX5n has a similar chip than what's in the VG20 and the reports of it's low light capabilities are very promising at least according to 1 souse so far.
http://translate.google.com/translat...onique-12.html

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague /forum/post/20861825

Who will be the early adopters?

I will (if they've addressed the VG10's aliasing problems, which can't be determined from the samples I've seen so far).

I have a GH2, and I love shooting stills and video with it, but I miss camcorder ergonomics, the headphone jack and full manual control of audio.

Cheers,

Bill
http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogspot.com

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I haven't bought one yet, but I did rent one for a weekend from borrowlenses.com a couple of weeks ago and shot a quick side-by-side comparison with my unhacked GH2 . I had to shoot around my work schedule and family obligations, so please excuse the focus and audio challenges.

Bottom line: I liked the camera. Great manual sound without an external recorder. Good looking 1080 24p and 60p images. Better in low light than my unhacked GH2. Worse moire, though. No color/sharpness/contrast control. And the touchscreen/menus are for consumers, not pros. Bottom line, it is a 'DSLR in camcorder clothing' - with no overheating, unlimited clip length and a headphone jack. I'm saving up for one to complement my GH2.

I was able to edit the VG20's AVCHD files just fine in Sony Vegas.

I only had time to take a few JPGs, but it worked well as a 16MP still camera too. Here is my blog post on the VG20 as a still camera.

Hope folks find this useful.

Best of the New Year,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.