AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who will own the Blu-ray rights to the Inauguration?

If someone wanted to produce a commercial Blu-ray disc of the Inauguration who would own the rights? If you record the video do you automatically own the rights to it? Does the government have the ability to say who owns the coverage rights?

How likely is it that we will see a Blu-ray disc from this "Historic event"?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
seeing how there's already a magazine, dvd, coin, plate, etc...... there will surely be at the very least a DVD bluray is a maybe but i couldn't say

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I doubt they'd release it on BD. Some people asked about the Olympics opening ceremony, which was only on DVD, and I don't think that the inauguration would be more in demand than that.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The only way you'll see it in BD is if some future movie or documentary uses footage from it. There's no way they would release a separate disc for it specifically.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the question is “If I recorded it could I make and sell a Blu-ray of it”. Does the producer of the content always own the rights to it? Are there any exceptions where you could be barred from selling your own footage? For example: if you recorded the Olympics and it happened to show the Olympic rings the Olympic then the Olympic committee could sue you for trademark infringement.

Does the government have any trademarks on the Inauguration?

What if I tried to make a Blu-ray of the Network Pool feed? Is that legal or is that copy written material as well?

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
The inauguration is a public event, tickets are not sold for it and it is in fact unlawful to sell tickets for it. I doubt it would be lawful to record it from TV and then try to sell a Blu-ray of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.