AVS Forum banner

(multi choice) Who else will roll out Hybrid players in the next year?

• Denon

Votes: 66 50.0%
  • Marantz

Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Onkyo

Votes: 66 50.0%
  • Integra

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Pioneer

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • Panasonic

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • Meridian

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • Fuh Yuan

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • Philips

Votes: 24 18.2%
  • Another manufacturer you didn't list

Votes: 44 33.3%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we've all heard the story from Sansung and LG.

But now that they've broken the "ice" in this "cold war", who'll be rolling out the next set of Hybrid HD/BD dual formats players - possibly as early as November!

Put your votes in now! In only a few short months we'll be able to see how things are shaping up.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I don't think that we'll see any of the above manufactuers release hybrid players...only Samsung and LG. And I will buy one of them.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

Denon and Onkyo baby

When?

·
Registered
286 Posts
what about sharp, now that they are mass producing the combo tiny laser?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I don't understand this poll.
No one KNOWS, we're all just guessing, which is pointless.

Does anyone KNOW who might be releasing dual format players in the future?

I know I heard one person say that Denon was *not* going to do a dual format player anytime soon. Something to the effect that they weren't happy with how much they spent developing their current crop of universal machines for how big the SACD and DVD-A markets never became.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I don't understand how the graph works...totals equal more than 100% and an option with 8 votes has a longer line than an option with 20 votes -- never mind, just my sucky computer at work not showing graphics correctly.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Meridian will probably release an extremely expensive extremely high end dual format player. I have no sources to back up my guess, but why not? A dual format player which can actually play all of HD DVDs special featires! It would probably even have 7.1 analog outputs

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

rdjam said:

But now that they've broken the "ice" in this "cold war", who'll be rolling out the next set of Hybrid HD/BD dual formats players - possibly as early as November!

Just saw this over at dvd review:

Sharp ends the high def wars?

Sharp has made quite an amazing announcement, and one that has slipped almost completely under the radar.

Sharp has just announced the release of a new optical disc player that will allegedly be the smallest player ever produced. In and of itself, this is mildly interesting. But more interesting is that it is capable of playing CDs, DVDs, Blu-Ray and HD DVD. That's right a dual format player, that could potentially eliminate the need to worry about formats. Thre press is very vague on the availability of this on a consumer level. But the player, be it a consumer item, or component is expected to cost less that $100 and begin shipping next month. If this is indeed a cross platform player, the news will certainly appear here soon.

·
Premium Member
5,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD /forum/post/0

Meridian will probably release an extremely expensive extremely high end dual format player. I have no sources to back up my guess, but why not? A dual format player which can actually play all of HD DVDs special featires! It would probably even have 7.1 analog outputs

Unlikely I think. Merdian Supported DVD-A only to this day, they are quite strong willed when it comes to single format support. Then again, they did own patents on MLP/DVD-A.

·
Registered
160 Posts

steviec said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/0

Just saw this over at dvd review:

Sharp ends the high def wars?

Sharp has made quite an amazing announcement, and one that has slipped almost completely under the radar.

Sharp has just announced the release of a new optical disc player that will allegedly be the smallest player ever produced. In and of itself, this is mildly interesting. But more interesting is that it is capable of playing CDs, DVDs, Blu-Ray and HD DVD. That's right a dual format player, that could potentially eliminate the need to worry about formats. Thre press is very vague on the availability of this on a consumer level. But the player, be it a consumer item, or component is expected to cost less that $100 and begin shipping next month. If this is indeed a cross platform player, the news will certainly appear here soon.

Do you have a source to back that info up? Smells like BS to me.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I think that that "announcement" is just the drive and not the complete player. So it could be used in a standalone player or a PC. Several of these already exist and have been announced.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Where is the "None of the above" or "no universal players released" option?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.