AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... a post about the new HDTiVo product and my experience with it at TiVo headquarters? I recently made a visit there with a buddy of mine that works for TiVo, and he let me talk with one of the product developers for the new HD product, as well as look at the product where it's currently at, along with the HD related features, etc.

I figure there is probably great interest in this over at the TiVo forum... but I don't feel like registering an account there just yet... nor do I feel like writing a lengthy post about the experience if only very few people are interested.

Since this forum gets a lot of traffic, some of which includes TiVo owners who wouldn undoubtedly like HD on their TiVo units, I thought I would post here to see what kind of response I get.

So, who's interested? ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EVeryone who reads this thread who is interested, please post something saying so. If I get 15 responses back saying people are interested (from different people, of course ;)), then I will make my post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why not just post it, there are a lot of people that just lurk around here - they read stuff but don't necessarily post.

Or are you just post whoring?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm very interested in hearing anything about the new HDTiVo. I'm sure a lot more people on this forum would be as well. The only problem is, your subject line for this thread is so generic that most of these people have no idea that someone actually has this information to offer.

Post a new thread with a subject something like "My HD TiVo Experiences", and I'm sure it would generate *tons* of interest.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I'm not interested in any thread that doesn't have the subject in the title.:p

And I only opened the thread to say that.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I'd like to hear about what you saw.

I think I'm number 12.

I hope that the Tivo guys finally figured out that commercial skip is a feature which differentiates ReplayTV - one which matters to a lot of consumers, including myself.

-phil

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the response... I realized after making the post that the subject line was over-generalized. I apologize for that, but, at any rate, now I see that enough people are interested.

Here's what I'm going to do. My friend from TiVo asked that before I make this post, I let him review the content to make sure that there is nothing in there that would reveal any sort of trade secret, etc. That having been said, I need some time to write the post and then have him review it.

There will be no photos included as the visit was nothing official, just the privileged, somewhat impromptu moment I had as a benefit of being a friend of a guy in the TiVo product development group.

I was still pretty excited about what I saw... and I hope you will enjoy the post. Stay tuned...

BTW, The commercial skip feature is available (not one that reads content tags, but one that jumps ahead 30 seconds each time you hit the "end" button on your remote). It is not formally listed as a feature, but if you browse over to the TiVo forum linked off of AVS's site, you can visit a tweak section that tells you how to enable the 30 second skip via punching a sequence of buttons on your remote.

One last comment in response to someone else's here:

In case anyone was wondering, TiVo has never formally introduced nor made the skip feature easily accessible for a myriad of reasons, one of which was because they realized they were a small fledgling company that didn't want to be sued out of existence by a big TV studio who didn't like what they were doing in easily allowing consumers to skip over their chief sources of revenue. (Phew, that was a RUN-ON sentence.) There are many in the industry that believe this is why ReplayTV went through the number of owners that it did, as well as why Replay/Sonicblue is now bankrupt (last I checked they had announced bankruptcy). TiVo walked a less threatening line with those same TV studios...

Anyhow... look for a post from me called: "My Impressions of HDTiVo" very soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.