AVS Forum banner

How should I complete the wires in the AV closet?

• Just run the wires directly to the amps/receivers/distributors and use cable looms.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terminate the wires in wall in keystones & make fresh wires/connections.

• A combination of both & I've commented in the post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am completing our whole apt audio setup (speakers in all rooms for audio & 5.1 & 7.1 in 2 rooms). I have dedicated a closet for the full rack of AV equipment and wanted some advice. 34 total speaker runs, 4 hdmi, 8 ethernet, 2 USB & 1 3.5mm audio).

All cable runs (speakers, HDMI, ethernet, USB & 3.5 audio) are run through the walls from the speakers/room volume controls and I'm not sure if I should connect all the wires above DIRECTLY to the amps/receivers/distributors with cable looms OR set up a keystone media plate (or several as it would be) in the wall and use a separate connection from the wall plate to the amps/receivers/distributors. Maximum run for the HDMIs is 30 feet (single cable) and speaker cables are max 65 feet with 12 gauge wiring.

I know that there is a possiblity of degradation with each connection, but it would allow for a much more elegant solution in the closet (i'd be able to label all the keystones etc). Is the possible degradation worth a clutter-free organized closet?

Your expert advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
In the closet, I wouldn't recommend the keystone approach. Besides the extra connection and cost involved - the wall plate size you'll end up with is huge. You'd have a big hole in the wall and a bunch of cables dangling from it. It's actually a much cleaner looking install to use a bulk entry plate / scoop, and neatly velcro the "vine" of cable from the scoop to the components.

If you've only got a "few" wires of a particular type - thinking cat5 used for Ethernet specifically - I'd terminate those with a wall plate, since you may want more access and easy-of-disconnection...

Jeff

·
Registered
521 Posts
That's how I did it at my old place. In my case I wanted to avoid damaging the wall, so I used a little rack frame (found at stayonline.com) to hold the plate. The frame was hinged on one side, making it easy to fold out the plate and get better access to the back:

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalant /forum/post/20777026

What do you think of this as a way to keep the sheer size of a keystone setup down to a minimum http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...546&sku=03860#

A patch panel is a better solution than a bunch of in-wall keystones as dododge said. But I don't think it's a "more elegant" or a "clutter-free" install. The flexibility of a patch panel is for great for configurations that change. For speaker cables and other A/V infrastructure (coax, cat5 for non-Ethernet purposes), changes are very rare.

IMO, a dual-gang scoop wallplate with a dressed wire vine will look "cleaner" than a wall-mounted patch panel. Proper and neatly done labeling of the cables is a good practice, though, regardless of how the cables are terminated.

But a patch panel is unlikely to degrade any of the signals enough to be a concern, as long as it's installed properly. But I wouldn't recommend the keystone blanks for building a cat5/cat6 panel. Middle Atlantic and others have a variety of these wall-mounted, shallow-depth brackets. Perhaps a combo of a 2U RJ45 patch panel and a 2U keystone blank for everything else, if that's the direction you choose...

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.