AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read tons and tons and I still seem to have quite a bit of confusion as to which system I should get.

My wife and I built our house and I prewired for whole home audio in 4 rooms downstairs (will add upstairs later). I wired it so I could basically use any system I want each speaker runs to the AV rack, each control panel location has a 16/4 speaker wire and a cat5e cable. I am trying to figure out which system I should get my requirements are

1) Each zone has 2 speakers

2) Ability to play AM/FM, Pandora, and from a computer/server

3) Each zone to be able to have something different playing

4) It would be nice to be able to connect devices wirelessly for more music (I.E. someone brings over a phone)

5) I don't want to have to run additional wires if I can avoid it

6) If I could have a remote control for a zone it would be cool but not required

7) Text readout on the keypads

I don't know if I'm forgetting any features I should be asking for but we can start from there.

What does everyone recommend? NuVo? Russound? OnQ?

Thank You

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
The metadata on the keypads (your #7) is what will drive you to either the NuVo or Russound systems. Autonomic also has a system that uses dedicated iPod unis for keypads to accomplish the same thing. Any of those can get everything else on your list. Guest device access can be handled by Airplay / Bluetooth support either native in the system's music server or as an inexpensive add-on (3rd party) device like an Apple Airport Express or Bluetooth receiver.

For the Russound or NuVo systems, any of them that support the matching music server will get you all of this. The very new Russound "wireless" zone player-based system can host a single keypad per zone player, which is a good way to go, too. Don't worry too much about AM/FM radio - you can stream most stations using the TuneIn Internet radio service - you can check their site to see if your favorite stations are listed. The only benefit then to an actual AM/FM tuner is support for radio when the Internet is down, if that's a concern...

Congrats on doing the wiring correctly! You won't have to run any more wiring for any of this.

Jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. It was fight with our builder to get it wired the way I wanted it to. I would have done all my own low voltage but it was a production builder so they wouldn't allow me to. With the media server can you easily change songs from the control panel? Also is one system better than the other? It seems the Russound has a better price to it. good point on the AM/FM tuner

Also with Russound which system is the best option A-bus, CA Controllers, C series controller? I'd prefer everything to be rackmount if possible

Also if the metadata wasn't a requirement what would be a good option?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegguy  /t/1520455/whole-home-audio-system#post_24426722

Also with Russound which system is the best option A-bus, CA Controllers, C series controller? I'd prefer everything to be rackmount if possible

The C-series is the one with metadata keypads. And the new streaming units - which is what I would put high on the list of potentials.
Quote:
Also if the metadata wasn't a requirement what would be a good option?

If you lose the metadata on the keypads, then you either go with:

a) Any system with keypads / volume control. And whatever source(s) and their associated apps for control

or

b) skip the keypads completely and use a Sonos / NuVo / Russound zone-player / streamer solution with 100% mobile device control.

I'm torn between which of those two I would recommend these days. Dropping a cheap Android tablet into each room (or wall mounting them) allows for keypad-like convenience. And like really like having everything in one "app", which is why I lean towards (b). Probably depends on what other sources you might want to use. I pipe my DirecTV receiver's audio to the system to listen to the news in the morning. With a keypad that's a single button on/off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor  /t/1520455/whole-home-audio-system#post_24429022

I'm torn between which of those two I would recommend these days. Dropping a cheap Android tablet into each room (or wall mounting them) allows for keypad-like convenience. And like really like having everything in one "app", which is why I lean towards (b). Probably depends on what other sources you might want to use. I pipe my DirecTV receiver's audio to the system to listen to the news in the morning. With a keypad that's a single button on/off.

I like the idea of a tablet but I think the wall panel gives a cleaner installation. Ideally i'd like a wall panel with the option of adding a table to the same zone (I.E. my outdoor area since the panel is inside). It sounds like either the Nuvo or the Russound will give me that option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts