AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we will be building our home, the builder gave us an option where he prewired the whole home for speakers. We can have him install all the speakers for a low fee ($100). We will need to provide all the equipments to do so. So far this is what I picked out, but still have no clue of what amp or controller I'll need.

There will be 4 zone inside and 1 zone for outdoor.

This will not be a surround sound build, but more for music and such.

I'll get the Yamaha NS-IC600 (probably 8 speakers).
I'll get a pair of Polk RC85i for the living room.
and something for the outdoor set.

What equipment do I need to buy to power them? where can I get them?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I don't know why anybody would go Sonos (or other wireless) for new construction.

If I were building new I'd still wire up all the speakers and homerun back to my wiring closet. I agree on wall keypads being old-school now, but I'd be tempted to wire up everything anyway.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I don't know why anybody would go Sonos (or other wireless) for new construction.

If I were building new I'd still wire up all the speakers and homerun back to my wiring closet. I agree on wall keypads being old-school now, but I'd be tempted to wire up everything anyway.
Sonos (and other "wireless" systems) and hard-wired aren't mutually exclusive terms. I think the scenario both impmonkey and XJBaylor were implying is to still hard-wire ceiling speakers to a central location (however, no volume controls), and install them to several Sonos Connect Amp units. Control would be "wireless" via phone/tablet.

A perfectly reasonable way to go for new construction, IMO.

Matt

Reactions: SMHarman

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks like Sonos is out of my price range. We are on a tight budget so trying to get it as low as we could.

For the controller, do I need to get an amp to power what I have listed? I saw that the HTD has a gateway module to connects it to the home wifi. It should work similar right?

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
As low as you could?

Install impedance matching volume controls in each zone, use a $50 AVR from Craigslist for driving the speakers, wired in parallel.

Downside - single source plays on all zones at one time.

If you run a category cable to each VC location (to thermostat height - typical height of keypad), and bury it behind drywall, you'll be set to upgrade (if keypads are your thing - most people like control from mobile devices).

When it's time to upgrade, remove the VCs (patch and paint), and install your system of choice.

I used this setup for a couple years, works fine.

·
Registered
383 Posts

The Sonos components we were referring to (Connect and Connect:Amp) are wired systems. The reason you would use Sonos is to take advantage of their UI, which is fantastic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.