AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

I'm looking for some advice on setting up the ability to listen to a single music stream in multiple rooms of my house. I've taken a look at Sonos which is clearly a leader in the space, but I have two challenges with it. First, it's pretty pricey to buy. Second, I already have a receiver and speakers in most of the rooms I'd like audio, so it seems redundant to buy Sonos speakers to put in rooms that already have speakers. Here is a short list of the requirements I'd ideally like to see:
- Ability to "dj" from my iPhone from either spotify, Pandora, local music, or YouTube.
- Ability to select which rooms I stream music to, and ideally control the volume levels
- Ability to leverage existing powered speakers or receiver/speakers

I currently have, or can easily have some sort of device in each room such as a FireTV, XBMC mini computer, old iPhones, etc...

Any thoughts or ideas on setting this up would be much appreciated!

Chris

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hi all-

I'm looking for some advice on setting up the ability to listen to a single music stream in multiple rooms of my house. I've taken a look at Sonos which is clearly a leader in the space, but I have two challenges with it. First, it's pretty pricey to buy. Second, I already have a receiver and speakers in most of the rooms I'd like audio, so it seems redundant to buy Sonos speakers to put in rooms that already have speakers. Here is a short list of the requirements I'd ideally like to see:
- Ability to "dj" from my iPhone from either spotify, Pandora, local music, or YouTube.
- Ability to select which rooms I stream music to, and ideally control the volume levels
- Ability to leverage existing powered speakers or receiver/speakers

I currently have, or can easily have some sort of device in each room such as a FireTV, XBMC mini computer, old iPhones, etc...

Any thoughts or ideas on setting this up would be much appreciated!

Chris
I have the same situation and I already owned one Logitech Squeezebox from before they were discontinued, so I grabbed a few more on the used market. They do everything you need and are still readily available. The server software is open source and has a pretty good user community, so it seems to be keeping up with new services. It has good apps for Spotify, Pandora, XM Radio and several other services. It plays FLAC natively and also supports damned near every music format known to man via server-side transcoding. Logitech Media Server runs on a quite a few NAS boxes directly, which is the most stable way to do it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm also in a similar situation. All of my best equipment is in my Home Theater. The rest of my rooms (7) have equipment that would sound just fine with the source being Aptx. That's when I decided to cut back on a big cabling project.

I found a product I'm currently testing. It's a Bluetooth 4.0 Aptx receiver. It's outputs are stereo analog, SP/dif Coax and Optical, which covers inputs in every room. So far only the center of my 3000 sq. ft., single story home can be the source of the BT for complete coverage. But that would be the case for party time and then I would leave the source there. Otherwise I leave components on in the common rooms I'm in a lot as I'm walking around.

For a Bluetooth source I'm using a Samsung Note 4. It also has BT 4.0/Aptx but it also has 802.11AC for WiFi. So I can pull from my Asus 802.11AC router from the NAS or right off the internal SD card or my new favorite service, TIDAL.

At this point I'm ready to order 7 more receivers. I googled my requirements and found this product. It's sitting in front of me and I realized it has no brand name on it. I ordered it from Amazon from China. There are several brand names but they all look alike. It's about 1x2x3 inches and about $40. It did take four weeks to get here. It's power source is a wall wart. A nice useful upgrade would be Li-on power.

In my testing it worked out to 50' line of sight. I was expecting out to 30'. Each wall reduces the distance.

I started this project without knowing all of my Squeezebox Touch's abilities. Now that I found you can incorporate TIDAL with a SBT I'll be revisiting that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm also in a similar situation. All of my best equipment is in my Home Theater. The rest of my rooms (7) have equipment that would sound just fine with the source being Aptx. That's when I decided to cut back on a big cabling project.

I found a product I'm currently testing. It's a Bluetooth 4.0 Aptx receiver. It's outputs are stereo analog, SP/dif Coax and Optical, which covers inputs in every room. So far only the center of my 3000 sq. ft., single story home can be the source of the BT for complete coverage. But that would be the case for party time and then I would leave the source there. Otherwise I leave components on in the common rooms I'm in a lot as I'm walking around.

For a Bluetooth source I'm using a Samsung Note 4. It also has BT 4.0/Aptx but it also has 802.11AC for WiFi. So I can pull from my Asus 802.11AC router from the NAS or right off the internal SD card or my new favorite service, TIDAL.

At this point I'm ready to order 7 more receivers. I googled my requirements and found this product. It's sitting in front of me and I realized it has no brand name on it. I ordered it from Amazon from China. There are several brand names but they all look alike. It's about 1x2x3 inches and about $40. It did take four weeks to get here. It's power source is a wall wart. A nice useful upgrade would be Li-on power.

In my testing it worked out to 50' line of sight. I was expecting out to 30'. Each wall reduces the distance.

I started this project without knowing all of my Squeezebox Touch's abilities. Now that I found you can incorporate TIDAL with a SBT I'll be revisiting that.
I was recently in same situation (a few months ago). SONOS ultimately won out. I have speakers in my ceilings and own a few receivers which could be used. I even bought a cheap $20 monoprice bluetooth receiver so i could stream from tablet and phone. I tried Denon's HEOS (i got a unit free with a marantz receiver I bought). Limited content was the issue with HEOS...it went back (along with the receiver). I played with SONOS a year ago before I moved into the new house, and loved it. So i always wanted it, and decided last week to pull the plug...SONOS is just 'easy'. I put a connect amp in the bedroom. I put a connect in the family room which is connected to a 2 channel amplifier hooked up to a 4 way speaker selector to control 4 zones......the latter is one way i 'won' by not having to buy 4 sonos connect amps...rather the amplifier, the speaker selector, and the connect. Yes I lose ability to play those zones independently but i have an open house so this was really a non issue.

Summary of all this...SONOS rocks. It's just easy, has great content, and works. If you can swing it, even slowly, do it..you wont' regret it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the ideas! I do like the Sonos, but spending $350 for each Sonos Connect seems really expensive. I think my first stop is going to be to try and see if I can make the Squeezebox service to work. There is player software that can run on a Raspberry Pi and a add-on for Kodi(XBMC), server software that will run on my NAS, and an iPhone app available. I'll report back how well I can get it to work once I've got it running.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Look on the secondary market for used Connect and Connect Amps. I think they went by the ZP90 and ZP100 in their past life. If they are in good condition, you should be able to get a deal. I found 3 ZP100s on Craigslist for $110/each. I needed 4 and found the last one on ebay for just a little more. After a factory reset, they were all up and running perfectly. Plus, I think the older models offer some features that got dropped on the newer models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts