AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all and thanks in advance for any and all help.

I just bought a house that has polk in ceiling speakers(10 speakers total and one sub) installed throughout but NO AMPLIFIER. Volume knobs for each pair are also present.

I do have a distribution speaker selector box that works when hooked up to older stereo amp.

can a I use a normal amplifier without any issues or should I go ahead and bite the bullet and buy one of the designed for whole house audio amps?

Any suggestions on a inexpensive solution?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
499 Posts

Many of the speaker selectors have impedance matching settings. Running ten speakers or 5 stereo sets off of a two channel stereo amp can work if you enable the impedance matching setting on the speaker selector. It wont sound awesome...but ok for back ground music. 

The volume pots you mentioned at the wall locations might have impedance matching circuitry too. You don't want to double the effect. If the pots have this feature, turn the speaker selectors impedance matching circuit off.

A real amp with 12 channels would be best for reliability and sound quality, but that's up to you. I would check the specifics of what you have and hook it up to see what you have, to see if you like the quality first before spending...but that's just me, and I'm cheap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts