AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to put together a whole house audio system in my home (picture attached). I need to put the speaker wires in before they put up the dry wall therefore I needed help with speaker placement. I already plan to have a 7.2 system in the great room which I hope will play simultaneously with the rest of the house. The house is an average size. Where should I place the speakers in the house? How many speakers do I realistically need? Is 12 gauge wire thick enough?

Moving forward, after I place the wires for the speakers I am going to need to decide what kind of speakers to get, the input source, do I need switches in every room?. Currently, I plan on just getting a middle of the line receiver, and attaching all the speakers to it, splitting out the zones with a speaker selector. I am not sure if this idea is the right course of action. I do not have a large amount of money to put into this project but I am willing to spend on decent quality since it will be fairly permanent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any advice??? i read that the whole house audio system should not be hooked up to the same receiver as the home theater.. why is that???

·
Registered
871 Posts
Most second zones on a receiver share power with the primary zone, hence you would not have enough power to drive all the speakers.

To answer some of your questions, your best advice would be to run 4 conductor speaker wire, either 16/4 or 14/4 as well as cat 5 or 6 to a potential keypad/volume control for each zone from where your equipment will be, and then from that location running speaker wire either 16/2 or 14/2 to your speaker locations, this gives you the option of either installing a volume control, some sort of keypad controller, or just tying the the runs from the equipment directly into the speakers with no local control.

If your receiver has second zone preouts you can find a 2 channel amp hook up the speakers to it and then use impedance matching volume controls in each room to control the volume locally with the same source playing in all zones, this is the cheapest way to do whole audio. In the future you can go with something like a sonos system, control 4, etc.. and use the cat 5 you already ran for local control of source and volume, so its important that you do this now to save headaches in the future.

·
Banned
295 Posts
There is a whole-home audio chapter in the book in my signature - shows all the wiring methods, some of the more popular systems and how they are connected etc. Using zone 2 (as blueaves says) can be done but most people are happier with a dedicated system (see the simple system in the whole-home audio chapter) - a dedicated amp and sourece - but investing just a little more will result in independent control of each zone. Luckily, there is a standard way to wire it all that lets you decide on the actual system later. I'm not sure I've gotten all the way up to posting the audio chapter on the link in my sig, if not you can get the whole thing from www.bocsco.com/prewire

Good luck -

DF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts