AVS Forum banner

Whole house audio system help

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  chomps82 
#1 ·
We are building a new house and would like to have a 6 zone whole house audio system. I have already ran speaker wire and a cat-5 wire to the locations of the zones. I have 3 zones that will be outside so we might need a little more power. We would like to keep it under 1500.00 with the keypads. Anyone know how the russound KT1-C3 system is? (I like the keypads) or the HTD MC-66? We will use it mostly for radio but would be nice to have Pandora also. We also have smart phones and a tablet so can we somehow sync those to control the system or play Pandora? I am total new to this and would love some expert advice. Thanks

#2 ·
I have a used Nuvo Essentia here that meets your needs and close to your budget. PM me if you are intrested in it. It has no sources you would need to use something to get your pandora or get there music port which then you can control the wh0le system from your smart phone. That is about the cheapest with keypads I don't like the russound stuff the other system you can look at is Sonus, will do what you want but has no keypads, people here tend to like it and you can start small and add when you get more money, but at 6 zones your better off with the Nuvo price wise, however I hate to break it to you but $1500 for 6 zones is going to be tuff especally if you start talking extra amps for the outside.

#3 ·
Yeah, $1500 is not going to happen with any system with metadata-enabled keypads, 6 zones, outdoor amplification, and speakers...

NuVo Essentia would be a good starting place. To get iDevice control on current NuVo product, you'll need the MPS4 server (which you'll really want for all the Internet/digital library sources anyway). That combo is excellent, but will certainly break that budget...

However, doing a cheap multiroom solution I've found doesn't get used nearly as much as a good one. Having full control from keypads with metadata makes it so easy to use, that even when I'm going to be in a room for only a little bit, I'll turn it on.

I know they seem expensive, but done right, you'll use the system daily if not more often.

Jeff

#5 ·
That helps some, but still won't get you digital sources and metadata keypads for $1500. You could do an HTD system with simple keypads, some Airport Express units to bridge digital sources from your iDevices - which you'd then be able to use for selecting audio (keypads for volume).

Or a couple of Sonos Connect and Connect:Amp units and go without the keypads altogether. Sorry, just not a lot of options to get everything you're asking for at that price point. 2x or 3x your budget, no problem...

Jeff

#6 ·
When you say six zone, do you want each zone to play a separate source at the same time, or just be able to play one or two sources across six different zones? If you are mostly using the system for Radio and for Pandora and want Smart Phone control, I would look at Sonos. Right now I have one Sonos Amp that is running seven different "zones". Each zone has it's own impedance matching volume control that I just leave in the "off" position unless I'm listening in that zone. A Sonos Amp will set you back about $500 but it has built in Internet Radio (all of my local stations are on there), it can play Pandora, Spotify, Siruis and all off your local music as well. Another nice feature that was already mentioned is being able to scale the system up easily. I plan on adding a few more Sonos Amps to my system in the near future so I can power a few more zones and/or have different sources playing in different zones.

I haven't looked at all of the other systems out there, but when I decided to build my system I wanted to be able to control everything from my phone, tablet or PC without having to go to a keypad to change tracks, select sources and so on. Sonos happened to be the best choice for what I wanted. It's Good luck!!

Dave

#7 ·
We would like a keypad for every zone. That way you don't need your phone everywhere you walk in your house or outside and other people can control it. And also the kids can just turn on the zone that they are in. I would like be able to control the volume and switch between sources with a keypad. The sonos are nice but can they work with keypads?

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylews55  /t/1414706/whole-house-audio-system-help#post_22122253

We would like a keypad for every zone. That way you don't need your phone everywhere you walk in your house or outside and other people can control it. And also the kids can just turn on the zone that they are in. I would like be able to control the volume and switch between sources with a keypad. The sonos are nice but can they work with keypads?

And you've hit on why the keypads are very nice to have. I don't carry my phone around either, and the keypads are always where you left them...

Many of the keypad systems can be fully controlled with an iPhone/iPad. The Sonos has no keypad support, unless you consider wall mounting an iPod to serve that purpose.

The current NuVo systems can be controlled via iDevice only if you have the Music Port Server. Russound has that native in the chassis, but as you'll really want the streamer/server on either of those systems, it doesn't really matter where the iDevice support comes from...

Jeff

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylews55  /t/1414706/whole-house-audio-system-help#post_22122253

Looks like you and jautor ruled out Sonos, as like jautor pointed out, it has no keypad support. Not matter what you end up going with, good luck and I hope you are able to get everything you are looking for.

Dave

#10 ·
Im looking at an HTD lync setup. I know you mentioned the HTD MC-66 but from the little that I have worked with them seem like a really good company that wants to make sure you get what you want. The have great customer support and sounds like they have what you need. The HTD setup has keypads and you can hook up your phone to control pandora etc... Seems like a good match IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.