Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:

Please excuse me if this is the wrong forum to post this question.

I'm moving to a new house in the next month or so and was wondering wether there is an intercom system out there that can also double as a whole-house distribution system.

This is what I envision:

A master station that can receive a line-level input from a source.

The ability to listen to this source at any station with relatively good quality on external speakers (not at the intercom station necessarily).

The ability to monitor any station from any station (so I can monitor our two babies).

It this even possible?

Thanks in advice for any direction you all can give me.

Wally

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Yes and no. Nutone is a popular intercom system maker, and they can do everything you ask, except for the good sound part. A friend's parents built a new home, with a Nutone in-wall stereo system, and all of the distributed-audio speakers in the house connect to only the left channel, with the expected signal quality and level imbalance.

I would suggest separate systems; whole-house audio, and an intercom w/room monitoring, plus exterior door units, and maybe even electric latches and cameras for additional security.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Seems to be the concensus from other people I have asked.

I remember seeing an article in an audio mag. (Home Theater or Audio Video Interiors) that talked about a really nice new system that could even have a cd player in each room and which had good sound, but have not been able to find it.

Appreciate the reply...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.