AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of installing a Russound CAV6.6 for mostly audio along with its accessories such as doorbell, home theater speakers, etc. Of course, there are other makers.

But my question is about whole house intercom. The Russound can deliver the audio, but it doesn't have a mike for talking. There may be manufacturers that supply interfaces that do this feature.

There are the popular Nutone and M&S and I've read about the CAT5e wired GreyFox. What are other options or ones you would recommend?

Take Aim

·
Registered
280 Posts
Check out the SLP-1 from Vikingelectronics. It provides paging capabilities from standard analog telephones, including the ability for two people to talk privately over the phones and not the speakers once they get the page. It also provides doorbell chimes over the speakers, music on hold and other options. I plan on ordering one in the next couple of weeks for my CAV6.6.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnjus
Check out the SLP-1 from Vikingelectronics. It provides paging capabilities from standard analog telephones, including the ability for two people to talk privately over the phones and not the speakers once they get the page. It also provides doorbell chimes over the speakers, music on hold and other options. I plan on ordering one in the next couple of weeks for my CAV6.6.

But with the SLP-1 I dont think you can page individual zones/areas/bedrooms. I called there tech support and they confrimed this. You pick up the phone get a dial tone and press 7# or #7. And basically it would page all areas connected.

I am going with a greyfox intercom unit. All that is required is a single cat5 cable to the keypads. You get a starter kit for $559 ( http://www.futurehomesystems.com/grf7602.shtml ). Which sets you up for the front door and three rooms. Each addional keypad is $49. There is a limit to 12 zones for the inside, not including the main unit and outdoor units.

Regards,

Shawn

·
Registered
13 Posts
Shawn,

Please keep us updated on how the Greyfox setup works out. I am buying a new house, and that is the unit I think I'm going to go with. I've seen a few people recommend it, but no one really review it.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zauberer
Shawn,

Please keep us updated on how the Greyfox setup works out. I am buying a new house, and that is the unit I think I'm going to go with. I've seen a few people recommend it, but no one really review it.

Thanks,

Brian
I will do that, but it probably wont be till the first part of next year. Thats when my house is due to be completed. Its already been over 1.5 years.

Regards,

Shawn

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why don't you use a PBX system. This way nobody has to walk to the Intercom unit to talk/respond. You can use cordless phone too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hting1688
Why don't you use a PBX system. This way nobody has to walk to the Intercom unit to talk/respond. You can use cordless phone too.

Very expensive, I looked into it. $200-$300 for one cordless unit. My home is over 7000SQFT, I need around 12 phones. Greyfox is a reliable and cost efficent solution.

regards

shawn

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a hybrid Panasonic PBX 624 system. just use regular cordless phone without problem. But I do use their digital phones in main areas like bedrooms, kitchen and library. Overall it is cheaper than buying seperate phones and intercoms.

Don't you need some phones any way? No PBX?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you looked at the Open House phone system H650? i believe. It is more reasonable than a traditional PBX and allows zones, page etc all with standard phones.

Jon

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndang
I am going with a greyfox intercom unit.
This is the system I'm eyeballing as well, but I don't believe it supports point-to-point communication. Really, I'd be happy with the ability to add a second main console. Anything like that out there?

I also like the Greyfox system as it isn't butt-ugly like some of the other systems out there! :eek:

- T

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.