AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So My dad is in the process of building a house and he is having an audio system in multiple rooms.

I can help him with most of the theater room stuff but this stuff is a little beyond my knowledge. So a few questions.

He is going to get a simple Stereo receiver.

He is looking at a Onkyo TX8255.

He was told he needs a Speaker selector. For this he was going to get a MTX Musica SS6Musica which is set up for 6zones.

Finally, he will have a 6-Disc CDPlayer (DXC390) hooked up to the receiver.

So my questions is this. Does this sound correct and Should he go up from here. Could he spend an extra $100 on the receiver and not need the Selector? Or is there a better brand he should go with. I think this was jsut the brand that was sold at the store when he was there.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
That's the simplest, but you should at least make sure the "zones" are wired correctly for future upgrades. That means the speaker wire should be looped through a volume control location in each zone (on the way to the central point where the amp lives). In addition, a cat5 wire should be run in parallel to the volume control location - that sets him up for future keypads or other expansion.

IMO, you'll want to figure out some remote control for the receiver and CD player. Note that this is a manual setup, you have to go to the speaker selector to turn on/off each zone, and volume will be the same everywhere unless you install controls in the rooms.

But yes, that is by far the cheapest way to get multi-zone audio. Just get the wiring correct so he can grow the system later...

Jeff

·
Registered
28 Posts
What Jeff said. From where the receiver is, run a Cat 5 and speaker wires to a junction box in each room he wants audio. Then run speaker wires from the box to the actual speaker locations. You can put a blank plate over the box. It'll look like a light switch plate without the switch, basically.

This will allow him to later install local volume control or keypads.

I'm using the Niles ZR-6 system, and this is the wiring in my house. I put a touch control keypad in the main location, which can control all zones in the house, and then I put smaller keypads at each location for localized control. It wasn't the cheapest solution, but it works great, is simple to use, and was simple to set up.

It's one of the few whole house audio systems (maybe the only one?) that will show you the metadata on an iPod, which allows you to see and control what is playing, gives you access to playlists, etc.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewK /forum/post/19562578

I'm using the Niles ZR-6 system, and this is the wiring in my house. I put a touch control keypad in the main location, which can control all zones in the house, and then I put smaller keypads at each location for localized control. It wasn't the cheapest solution, but it works great, is simple to use, and was simple to set up.

It's one of the few whole house audio systems (maybe the only one?) that will show you the metadata on an iPod, which allows you to see and control what is playing, gives you access to playlists, etc.

I'm using the NuVo Grand Concerto along with their MusicPort (which is based on the Autonomic Mirage server) - any of the NuVo/Autonomic products also offer metadata/control from the iPod/iPhone. But you do have to include one of the Server products to get that support, it's not part of the base amplifier/keypad product...

Jeff

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. He has volume control in each room but it is very simple. and I do not know that he is running Cat5 to each panel. My idea is that he will have every speaker on via the switch then turn the volume to 0 in each room if he wants them off.

It may be a little late to rewire but I will stress to him the importance of having cat5 at each plate also.

If he is able to still run cat5, is there a better receiver or speaker box he should get that will later not be wasted if he upgrades to a better distributed system?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.