AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest one whole-house surge protector over another? I will be doing some rewiring now & I want to add one in while the electrician is here.

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Have you checked with your local utility company, mine offers a Whole House surge protector that installs behind the meter for $175 (installation included).

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I use Intermatic. Your local Home Depot can order them for you.

Robert

·
Registered
252 Posts
Many utility companies will install a surge protector at the meter that you pay for. I guess it might protect the meter and provide some protection in case of large strikes.

Inside each of my two 200 amp GE panels in the garage is a GE Surge Protector called the Surge Pro. This may provide some protection.

Each receptacle that feeds electronic equipment, like TV's, HT's, etc, has either a plug-in-the receptacle Panamax or a multi-outlet with surge protection.

Also, I have protection on the cable TV, DirecTV, and telephone lines.

Will all this help? I don't know. Probably the better way is to remove all the plugs from the wall. But, I don't know when lightning or spikes will occur. So I leave stuff plugged in and hope for the best.

Take Aim

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replys.

I think I'll talk with my electrician & with my insurance carrier (USAA) for suggestions today & see if there is one they recommend as well!

I hadn't thought about the fact that one may protect appliances, but not electronics! That is something I will HAVE to watch for!

Thanks!

Bill

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnkyBiz
I hadn't thought about the fact that one may protect appliances, but not electronics! That is something I will HAVE to watch for!

Thanks!
Hi Bill,

blipszyc is quite correct most whole-house surge protectors, including the ones mounted on electric meters by the utility, are not warranted to cover anything but major appliances.

It is also important to note that Square D has a number of whole-house protectors, most of which will not cover electronics. However, the Square D Surgebreaker® Plus Multi-Path Surge Protector does have a warranty that covers electronics.

Larry

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin
Hi Bill,

blipszyc is quite correct most whole-house surge protectors, including the ones mounted on electric meters by the utility, are not warranted to cover anything but major appliances.

It is also important to note that Square D has a number of whole-house protectors, most of which will not cover electronics. However, the Square D Surgebreaker® Plus Multi-Path Surge Protector does have a warranty that covers electronics.

Larry
I have a Surgebreaker Plus. The insurance is $25,000 for damaged equipment if used alone. The insurance coverage goes up to $50,000 if you use supplemental surge strips to plug your equipment into.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropole
Does anyone know if Comed Chicago offers the installation of surge protectors at the meter?
Hi,

A Goggle search produced this document:

Power Quality Services & Products

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
Surge Protection Devices (SPDs)

ComEd offers a wide range of surge protection

devices (SPDs) to safeguard your equipment from

momentary voltage spikes. The simplest kind plug

right into the wall. They are available in many

configurations and aid in cable management as well.

Some models are modular, allowing additional

power ports or communication ports that protect

data travelling over computer networks and

telephone lines.

To protect your entire facility, some SPDs can be

hard-wired right to your main service entrance

panel. Others are hard-wired to sub-panels to

safeguard selected circuits. ComEd offers a number

of such systems along with the expertise to install

them correctly. While nothing can guarantee

protection against a direct lightning strike, it is

advisable to layer your protection by using SPDs

throughout your facility in all zones of protection.
It's not clear whether this is just for commercial installations.

Remember even if it is offered to Residential customers, it's still likely that your electronics will not be covered.

I suggest that you call a customer services representative and specifically ask for a copy of the warranty if this service is provided.

Larry

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Hi Bill,

Larry
Intermatic covers stereo/audio equipment and computers....

http://www.intermatic.com/images/ins...stallation.pdf

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee
Quote:
Hi Bill,

Larry
Intermatic covers stereo/audio equipment and computers....

http://www.intermatic.com/images/ins...stallation.pdf
Hi All,

I hope people who read my statement quoted above didn't take it to mean that I was saying Square D is the only manufacturer of whole-house surge protection that covers electronics. Obviously, that's not the case.

However, I think those who go to the trouble of attempting to read the warranties of whole-house protectors sold on-line, will be in for a rude awakening. First, it is very rare that a retailer will even provide the prospective buyer with the detailed warranty information.

For example, let's consider SmartHome.com. Here's a list of the Whole House Surge Protectors that they sell.

The first on the list is the Panamax Primax Whole House Protector. The product description says "Protect Your Electronics From Debilitating Power Surges". You would think this would protect your electronics, nope. Clicking on the additional product description it says:

Quote:
In addition, the manufacturer provides a 3-year Connected Major Appliance Protection Policy up to $10,000 for the repair or replacement of major household appliances (refrigerator, freezer, oven, range, washer, dryer, ceiling fan or dishwasher) and a 5-year product warranty.

For items that are especially sensitive to surges (i.e. computers, A/V devices), we still recommend the additional protection of plug-in surge protection power strips. Due to the high-voltage nature of this product, we recommend installation by a qualified electrician, which usually takes less than 30 minutes.
Going out to the Panamax web site I find the actual warranty. It says:
Quote:
Panamax will pay to repair or replace covered major household appliances, up to an aggregate three year total of $10,000, if the major household appliance, as defined herein, is damaged by an AC power or lightning surge. The Panamax surge protector must show signs of damage or be operating outside of design specifications.

...Major household appliances are defined as the following motor driven household loads: refrigerator, freezer, oven, range, washer, dryer, ceiling fan, or dishwasher.
Next I try to find the warranty information on the three Levitron Whole House protectors. All of these protectors are in Levitron's 51120 series. Smarthome provides the following burb in their descriptions:

Quote:
If you are going to be using a significant number of X10 components in your home adding one of the whole house surge protectors below will give you a good insurance policy against costly damage to both your X10 system and other delicate electrical equipment in your house. We recommend that whole-house surge protector units be installed by a licensed electrician.
From this statement you'd think that Leviton's warranty would cover electronics? Nope. When going out to the Leviton web site I find they have a 10-Year Limited Warranty that only covers replacing a failed surge protector. They assume absolutely no liability for any connected equipment. Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
Levitron warrants to the original consumer purchaser and not for the benefit of anyone else that this product at the time of its sale by Leviton is free of defects in materials and workmanship under normal and proper use for ten years from the purchase date. Leviton's only obligation is to correct such defects by repair or replacement, at its option, if within such date, and a description of the problem...
Finally, the three Intermatic Whole House protectors list do have the warranty referenced earlier that covers electronics.

So in this unscientific survey, of the 7 whole-house surge protectors sold by SmartHome, despite misleading product information, only three had a warranty that specifically covered electronics. Bottom-line, regardless of what the marketing and product descriptions say, make sure you get a copy of the warranty, before you buy the product.

Larry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.