AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend to hang a plasma on a brick wall, so I won't be able to hide any wires. I know that Sony XBR and Pioneer consumer have a separate media box, which I like because it would minimize the number of visible wires going to the screen. However, I know that the AVSForum-type experts are not too keen on Sony and the consumer Pioneer. Is there any similar option for Panasonic, or is there another brand I should consider that has a media box?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
The new Pioneers PDP-5040HD & PDP-4340HD coming out in the next month or two will feature the PDP-R04 media box that offers 10-bit processing, and a full digital stream to the PDP. Joe Fernand was able to preview one in the UK recently (PDP-504HDE) and was reasonably impressed with it.

The new Hitachi's have media boxes as well - new Consumer models end in xxHDT50 / xxHDT55 (silver or black). 42" are Alis.

The beef on the previous Pioneer stemmed from the original 'Sharp' made media box which was 8-bit (PDP-R03). Later Pioneer took over making the box but it is not clear what all changed in that transition.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Pannies w/ media box will be available here in the US.

·
Super Moderator
21,575 Posts
you will still have some cabling to deal with:

a display with a separate media box requires:

-a display interface cable (connects to the media box) consists of two heavy cables- one a DVI cable, the other with a proprietary connector

-power cable to display (in addition to separate power cable to media box)

a media box may help the cabling somewhat but you still have to deal with the fixed length display interface cabling

If you need a longer display interface cable, it gets expensive if available at all: Sharp offers a longer display cable set as an option- 10 meters: list price is approx $450.00

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by markrubin
-a display interface cable (connects to the media box) consists of two heavy cables- one a DVI cable, the other with a proprietary connector
I thought it was only two cables total -- one for power and one to the media box. There are 2 to the media box?

Distance isn't really my issue, it's how it will look -- there's no way to hide the cable.

Quote:
The new Pioneers PDP-5040HD & PDP-4340HD coming out in the next month or two will feature the PDP-R04 media box that offers 10-bit processing, and a full digital stream to the PDP.
Now THIS is interesting. Does anyone know the schedule for these new Pioneers? Are they supposed to fix what was so "bad" about previous Pioneer consumer models (5030, 4330)?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
The PDP-504MXE (european version) release date has been slid from 1Q 2004 to 2Q 2004, that's the only indicator I know of.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so . . . my choice is Panasonic in 3-5 days and several wires on my walls or Pioneer in March - June '04 and only a few wires on my walls?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Sony XBR Plasma also uses a media box.

(duh... you already mentioned Sony...)

-------------------------------------------------------

My solution to hiding the wires above my fireplace is to build a "false wall" in front of the brick facade.

The wall will probably be high quality wood panelling with columns on either side. The wires can run up through the columns and behind the panelling.

But I have also been toying with the idea of pulling all the brick off the fireplace and then covering the entire fireplace with a false wall. In Southern California a fireplace is a useless waste of a good entertainment wall.

( I guess at one time watching the fireplace all evening was considered entertainment? )

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sickman
so . . . my choice is Panasonic in 3-5 days and several wires on my walls or Pioneer in March - June '04 and only a few wires on my walls?
No,

the March - June '04 refers to the 504CMX (504MXE European version) which does 'Not' come with a media box. The PDP-5040HD (Euro 504HDE) or PDP-4340HD (Euro 434HDE) do come with the media box, in a month or two.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hehe, you guys are confusing me with these euro models. In other words, I was ordering the panny 50" this week, however I would love to see the panny first, since I preferred that (except blacks) over the previous pannies. However I am not really trying to wait anothe6 months before I make a purchase, it has killed me to wait this long to get the panny 50. Any info is apreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
500 Posts
The new 5040HD and the new Elite 1110 both have a media box. Both are available this fall, supposedly Oct:

Quote:
Pioneer Elite plasma televisions come complete with a stand-alone media receiver that has twin ATSC tuners built in. The media receiver is compatible with high-definition terrestrial broadcast transmissions as well as NTSC broadcasts. The media receiver also allows the consumer to input an array of sources including satellite, cable, DVD, VCR, and computer signals up to wide XGA. The media receiver is digitally linked to the panel for optimal performance. It also offers HDMI connectivity. Color matched side mounted three-way speakers are also included in the package.

The PRO-1110HD and PRO-910HD plasma televisions will be available in October at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $15,500 and $11,500 respectively.
Regarding the 5040:
Quote:
Pioneer plasma televisions are packaged with a stand-alone media receiver with a built-in ATSC tuner for true high definition television. The media receiver is compatible with high-definition terrestrial broadcast transmissions as well as NTSC (standard definition) broadcasts. The media receiver also allows the consumer to input an array of sources including satellite, cable, DVD, VCR, and computer signals up to wide XGA. The media receiver is digitally linked to the panel for optimal performance. It also offers HDMI connectivity.

The PDP-5040HD and PDP-4340HD plasma televisions will be available in October at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $14,500 and $10,500 respectively.
From our European friends who have seen the 5040 at recent shows (he is not refering to the 504CMX commercial product, he saw the 5040HDE (European version)):
Quote:
I saw the new Pio 504 yesterday at the show and was mightly impressed. I currently own the 503hde. The 504 has a lot going for it. The big clumsy digital lead which connects the media receiver to the plasma has been replaced by a nice thin usb-like cord.
So it seems as if you have a power cord and a small "USB" type wire. (Edit per Brucer's comment below, our friend in Europe may have see the optional "optical" connection, thus the smaller diameter.) (Edit again, per Joe's comment this morning, standard cord may actually be smaller...)
Quote:
The 04 umbilical looks like having an event thinner cable than the 03 umbilical - same ends but thinner cable.
I will supposedly get to see the new Elite here in Fort Worth on Oct 9th

·
Registered
75 Posts
a friends setup has the plasma hanging on the wall in front of a rug wall hanging type of thing...

He used this as HIS solution to the cables thing.

It looks pretty classy.......and hides all the wires

·
Registered
61 Posts
Any one care about the built -in scaling and up convert capability on these media box? The pio box can take 480i/P source and upconvert to 720P (or is it 1080i??), trying to match the panel's native rate, some of this was already implemented to 503HD, is it really worth it? or should save the money on the commercial model and get a box like NRS-DVI?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Dan-

I think that is the "Optional" fiber optic cable that Joe Fernand referred to:

Edit: See Eternity's edits above. It now sounds like the supplied umbilical cord (itself) is a thinner wire than previous generation models, but with same size connectors on the ends

Quote:
The R04 comes with a 3.5m DVI umbilical up to the screen and there's also a choice of an Optional 10.0m DVI Umbilical or an 'active' Fibre Optic 30.0m (that's THIRTY meter) extension kit if you require it.
jhchen-

We'll have to see how that pans out:

More from Joe-

Quote:
Pioneer have taken two (for some signals three) A/D and D/A signals conversions out of the video chain.

The processor turns all signals into a 1024x768P @75Hz signal (no option to vary this as was suggested in an earlier post!) - input signals of 576P, 625P, 768P, 720p and 1080i are all covered (and I believe you can input all of these from an HDCP DVI source via the HDMI input!).

Pioneer can now apply all of the R04's video processing in the Digital domain which gives them more opportunities to 'optimise' the video signal and gives the user the ability to control things like colour adjustment to a much finer degree than on any other display; the top level 'user menu' lets you adjust seven 'colours' not just R,G and B.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.