AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read alot of posts about problems with this set but I wanted to give this set a fair chance and have a thread for people who are happy with this set. I think maybe the only people being vocal are the ones with problems. (as a side note, I am not trying to downplay the problems others have had, Arthurking and others I do sympathize) I myself am very happy with mine. It has great picture quality. It does have the horizontal line that was talked about, BUT, I didn't notice it until I read about it and looked for it. It is very hard to notice unless looking for it, even in 4:3 mode. I don't feel that it detracts from my viewing experience. That is the only flaw I can find in this set. I've never seen a tv that was "perfect" so I don't let the idea that there is an imperfection bother me. Overall I feel that for the price this is a very good tv. If I could go back I would still get this set. Anyone else happy with theirs?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im going with the 30hfx84-I guess its the same basic setup, cept for the 2 hdmi's and the wide band video amp-Ive been to the stores and seen all the tubes-the sony is better in SD and a tad better in HD but it cant fit in my cabniet and the two appeared equal to me for DVD playback, which my whole family likes to do together one night a week. Im going to this from an old panasonic 27 only one rf input and one set of rca inputs so this will be a big upgrade. HD will be a nice add on-and I will get that b4 football playoffs-btw Direct tv is charging me under cost for the receiver/installation and the local HD antenna-not a bad deal

BTW are HD antennas the same as the old vhf/uhf antennas? I got 2 in my attic that are wired with coax down to our tv room-Ive never hooked them up.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
HD antenna's are the same. Just make sure they're pointed in the direction of the digital towers (antennaweb.org) might be different from the analog directions.

Seth

·
Registered
541 Posts
By "horizontal line" do you mean that distortion running across the middle of the screen horizontally? Not noticeable except when panning up and down on some vertical lines?

I saw this on the 30HF84 in the store, and was disappointed to see something like this on the only 16:9 30" TV that will fit in my cabinet (don't want to bother with a 16:9 26", what's the point!?!?)

·
Registered
693 Posts
nark,

saw the 30hf84 toshiba in pcrichards the sd/analog looked pretty good.

hogan,

in ny none of the large dealers are carrying the 26in. Thats the one i wanted for my bedroom. The only place i saw it was online with crutchfield but who wants to deal with online if theres problems with the set. Also you lose out on the discounts the big store dealers give you,guess Ill have to go for the 30in.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hogan, perhaps the "horizontal line/warping" problem on the set you looked at was worse than what I have one my tv. I can't even see it duirng vertical pans, the only way I can see it is if I go into 4:3 mode and look at thre very edge of the picture (where the gray bars begin). What I'm trying to do with this thread is get feedback from the people who own this tv and are happy with it. I thiink there are enough posts out there of people who looked at it in the store and didn't like it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I could bear the geometry problem. Actually it was not so terrible. But, most of red looks like two images. Anybody has this kind of problem? Can it be called "Convergence Problem"? Especially, when I play some videogames, it is very severe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am very happy about my 30HFX84. Happy that I'm returning it to Video Only soon. I just purchased it a week ago. I was buying a JVC 42" EDTV plasma (which is outstanding, model PD-42V485) and I made a big mistake and bought the Toshiba on impulse for the bedroom to replace my 8 year old 27" Sony (which has a better picture than this new Toshiba).

Lesson #1: Never buy on impulse! (I didn't check AVS Forum first)

Lesson #2: Never buy at VIDEO ONLY unless you read their return policy carefully and understand that they have a 30 day return policy. THE PROBLEM IS THAT THEY ISSUE AN IN STORE CREDIT ONLY!

Now I have to figure out a replacement for the 30" Toshiba. I was not impressed with the geometry problems, the only OK picture on analog TV signals and only OK picture with progressive DVD feed. The cabinet is nice, 2 HDMI, good remote, etc but not what I consider acceptable picture overall.

RR6

·
Registered
136 Posts
Here is my setup and I am very happy with my 30HF84.

HDMI - Bell Expressvu 6100 HD Receiver

COMP 1 - Sony Progressive Scan DVD Player

COMP 2 - Sony Playstation 2

S-Video 1 - Same Bell Expressvu 6100 for SD Programs

S-Video 2 - Video out from Yamaha Receiver

Front - open

RF - Bell Expressvu 5100 PVR from the basement.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Is there any reason PICTURE-WISE to get the HFX rather than HF? I don't care about the extra speaker wattage. Therefore the only difference I can see is that you get 2 HDMI ports on the X instead of one.

If I am buying this TV for the next 5+ years hopefully, is it worth an extra hundred bucks for an extra HDMI port? I assume that the rest of the "guts" of the TV are the same, is that right?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think the reoccuring event happening here is people connecting the tv improperly, complaining about geometry feeding in analog to it. Sorry if I sound harsh but I am a little frustrated with some guys. Arthur, boden, hurtz...etc I feel for you, it looks like some of you guys are actually getting something done, good job with keeping with it and fighting to the last. But I think half the trouble is excuse me but stupid people connecting the tv with regular connections. Most people can just ignore this reply its just out of frustration, Im sure most of you can understand. Personally I love the tv, it works fantastic.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by specgeorge
I second the motion and thanks for echoing my beliefs, but after seeing your site its kinda hard to believe you have the 30inhf84.
Old pictures, once I fix my driver from my digital camera I'll post my new setup I apologize for the time being.

·
Registered
99 Posts
UPDATE ON MY TOSHIBA 30HFX84:

Good suggestion about listing our setup conditions.

At this point none of my signal sources are digital (I plan on buying an ATSC tuner soon, HDTV cable later). I am making my evaluation of problems with this unit based only on my cable connection in the Seattle area with Comcast (no cable box). Direct, quality cable to the TV. Also progressive DVD feed thru the component video jacks direct to the TV and not passed thru my Denon AVR-3803 receiver. This is a Panasonic DMR-E55S DVD recorder.

The important part is that I have the identical setup (same brand cables) in my living room with a brand new JVC 42" EDTV (yes I bought two of the DMR-E55S). The picture is noticeably better on the JVC plasma with no geometric problems and not as much grain as I am seeing on the Toshiba. I am very picky but even my wife can clearly see the difference.

I actually expected the exact opposite when I purchased these two TV's. I had always seen great reports on Toshiba direct view CRT's.

I think that Toshiba must have some QC problems at their plants.

RR6

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do these sets have Picture-In-Picture or split screen POP? Not really a huge deal since my satellite receiver already has it, but kind of curious about this still.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.