AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to install quieter fans in my 1031Q. I've read that some users are running their PJ's with the fans off. If your doing this, how long? Have you noticed any problems?

PJ techs, how about your opinion (obviously Sony thought they were necessary).

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Jawhn,

The 1031 is an industrial projector. In a cool Home theater environment it actually does not need the fans. However, the fans do help it evenly distribute any heat inside. I suggest you try the NMB fans I posted about. Here's the link: http://www.svc.com/80nmb253pinf.html

They are barely audible and will do just fine. I really dare you to complain about the noise from these. I use them in my 1030 and 7 in my computer. I can BARELY hear my computer.

A good fan for the price.

Marc

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Marc,

Will those work with NEC's?

Chip S.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
No, the NEC get's too hot to try this. I would not even lower the fan speed on those. In case you didn't know, the fans are already fed through dropping resistors located on the mother PCB.

You'd most likely pop the C-drive and soon the DEF board. The NEC is ONE projector that lowering fan speed is risky on.

Marc

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Refrigerator...

...Kegerator...

...Projectorator.

Hmm. :D

I ran my 1031Q without fans on a few occasions. The silence is great, but drift is a bit worse than usual.

Weren't there these little beverage fridges that sold on eBay that use close to no power and run silent? Sticking one of those in a hushbox and get a good temperature equilibrium would be sweet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have had my fans out for about a two weeks now.

Run my proj about every nite and seems fine. Convergence drift is no different than before - it's red is right and down for about the first 15 minutes.

I've only run it for about 2 hrs max at any singe time. Thinking about putting in micro toggle switches for the fans for longer run times.

Jim

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm using the NMB fans, convergence drift isn't a problem and it is quiet enough for me to not consider switching the fans off. At $5 for two fans, its a cheap and effective mod - thanks for the info Tinman!

Pete

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good response guys. Those are the fans I was planing on using. How's their shipping cost?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bought 5 fans at $2.20 each (some for the PC too), shipping was $6.25 by USPS priority mail, they were shipped on the day that I ordered them. Good service.

Pete

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I buy a LOT of stuff from them since I discovered them. I have been nothing but satisfied.

Marc

·
Registered
16,646 Posts
well you know I had to be the odd one and do something really stupid ;) .

-- I have an adjustable regulator to control fan speed and I inverted one of the fans so that the air circulates through [ push/pull ] . I took temp readings inside before and after and it is actually a few degrees lower with my current config. with the fans at about 3/4 speed [ which is almost silent ] , plus I can turn em' back up if I want :) .

-- Jason Berg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.