Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many of you use screens wider than

16X9 aspect ratio in your theaters, and if so, how is this

accomplished? (i.e. combinations of zoom and projector or scaler memory settings)

I find it more esthetically pleasing to have wider motion pictures

be larger -- hence the desire for a wider screen (though I

probably can't go wider than 2:1 without greatly decreasing

the impact of non-"scope" films).

On a side note: do any of you use curved screens, and if so,

how great a curve and how do you minimize distortion and

maintain focus?

Dennis

(just back from seeing "2001" in "Cinerama")

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I'm using a DIY gray 2:1 screen made from an 8'x4' sheet of melamine. 4:3 and 16:9 material are presented maximized for height. 2.35 or other widescreen are presented maximized for width.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
2.40:1, constant height (5'), width varies by A.R.

I use both a Rock+ scaler and an HTPC with YXY. Presented exactly as it would be in a commercial theater.

I use a Runco DTV-991 (NEC derivative) with a 720 x 1280 @ 72HZ (actually 71.93) on the HTPC, 72Hz on the Rock+.

The projector is adjusted to expand the width of the image to provide a 2.40:1 image. YXY on the PC and the Rock+ internal scaling take care of presenting the proper A.R. depending on the source.

I do constant height up to 2.55:1, and constant width is also available for 2.55:1 and 2.76:1 .

Vern Dias

http://members.home.net/tvdias/

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
I think Phil Olson is also using a wide screen (12' x 5')

When I move into a bigger place, I most certainly want a setup similiar to this ;) ....

·
Registered
423 Posts
2.35. Using an ISCOII plus zooming and moving my table mounted 4x3 projector (NEC VT540) to fill the screen. Residual black bands in wide screen material are masked off above and below the active screen area with additional masking added to the pull-down screen at the Dalite factory. Curtains are used at the sides for smaller format material.

Ultimately, I hope to use a 16:9 panel projector with the ISCO to provide a 2.35 image without the need for masking.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Right now using a 1.78 screen, but when I get my ISCO2 and move I'm going to 2.35 screen. Will use ISCO2 and run my DILA at 1360x768 with HTPC for constant height for 2.35 through 1.33.

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
I am also using a 235:1 screen and maintaining constant height.

For my taste 16x9 is still to square looking. The wider the screen the more cinema looking:)

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Ok, don't laugh, but I use a 4 x 8 piece of Masonite painted light grey (to match the Greyhawk), which gives me a 2.1 ratio. It works great.

On 2.35 material, I zoom wide to fill the entire 8 ft width with just a little screen section unused at the top.

16:9 material fills the sceen top to bottom, with a little space left over on either side.

Total cost, about 25 bucks. A little funky, but it works. :D

Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
2.35:1 113" wide DIY screen using a Compaq MP1800 with an Panavision Ultra Panatar and a Crystal Image scaler. (HTPC for 2:35 letterbox movies)

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
For an easier 2.35:1 setup, it is recommended, of course, to use a scaler that can do all anamorphic and nonanamorphic aspect ratios in constant-height varying-width on just two easy button presses.

·
Registered
17 Posts
:) When I hit the lottery, or my wife agrees I can buy more HT stuff (which ever comes first).

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Wouldn't using a wider than 16:9 screen create problems with subtitles displaying off the screen, or can an HTPC correct this?

Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.