AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a WHS server, but it doesn't natively support 4k sector drives and I'm thinking of switching to a different OS since its future is uncertain as well. I can try Linux (Freenas, Openfiler, Amahi etc) but would rather stay with Windows, esp since all clients are Windows and I already have a license.

To those running Windows Server, what other software do you use, what has your experience been like. Esp interested if there's anyone who switched from WHS. Do you have soething to do remote backups, streaming etc?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why not try a clean build of 2008R2 and enable hyper-v.

Set up a 20gb virtual hard drive and run WHS within. You can then have the best of both worlds---by continuing to stream media from WHS, and have proper backups and control from the main server OS.

Sounds complicated but it's pretty easy to set up if you already understand virtualisation (or have the desire to read up about it).

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I'll be keeping WHS 1 until something better comes along. It is still serving my needs.

You'll lose your automatic client backups, remote server functionality, and streaming server. You may not need the streaming server though...

For streaming, if you are streaming from an HTPC, you don't need the streaming features. Just set up 7MC, Media Browser, etc. to pull from the share. If you are streaming to a device that requires transcoding (such as a PS3), you can use something like PS3 Media Server. That's what I do on my WHS server anyway since I can't stream mkv, iso, etc. with the native streamer. I also like the folder layout better in PMS.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm going to wait and see how neutered Vail is before deciding what I'm doing. I had thought of maybe going Vail+Drobo or 2008R2+Drobo or maybe some other drive pool technology (FlexRAID, unRAID or even RAID). I dont tend to use too many of the WHS add-ons, I don't want to lose the automatic backup function and Drobo should offer a similar drive pool to WHS v1 but it is still over 400 dollars just for the bare box

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I looked at Drobo when someone mentioned it. Big no-go for me. I thought about doing Vail with flexRAID too, but since I'm running full "production" with mine, I didn't want to take the chance of major changes, no upgrade function as the project progresses, or Vail getting killed altogether.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFester /forum/post/19602279

Why not try a clean build of 2008R2 and enable hyper-v.

Set up a 20gb virtual hard drive and run WHS within. You can then have the best of both worlds---by continuing to stream media from WHS, and have proper backups and control from the main server OS.

Sounds complicated but it's pretty easy to set up if you already understand virtualisation (or have the desire to read up about it).

I am going to run just Server 2008. No plans to run WHS under it right now.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I run Server 2008 R2 at my home, with an Exchange, Sharepoint, Threat Management Gateway, two domain controllers, Web/RDP/FTP server, and Windows Storage Server, ALL in Hyper-V on two physical machines.

I do run Vail on one but that VM is running out of space and it shuts down often

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do know about the workaround but I consider it a hack, and I'm concerned about the long term prospects of WHS anyway.

My cpu is an old Athlon X2 5050e. Is this going to be enough to run Server 2008 and maybe even Hyper-V (the cpu does have AMD-V) ?

·
Registered
4,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB /forum/post/19604627

I run Server 2008 R2 at my home, with an Exchange, Sharepoint, Threat Management Gateway, two domain controllers, Web/RDP/FTP server, and Windows Storage Server, ALL in Hyper-V on two physical machines.

I do run Vail on one but that VM is running out of space and it shuts down often

I do the same except 1 DC and no WSS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts