AVS Forum banner

Who's Your Favorite HD Content Provider?

• [color=red][b]AT&T U-verse[/b][/color]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [color=brown][b]Cablevision[/b][/color]

• [color=green][b]Charter[/b][/color]

• [color=purple][b]Comcast[/b][/color]

• [color=gray][b]Cox[/b][/color]

• [color=blue][b]DirecTV[/b][/color]

• [color=black][b]Dish Network[/b][/color]

• [color=orange][b]Time Warner[/b][/color]

• [color=navy][b]Verizon FiOS[/b][/color]

• [color=indigo][b]OTA (over-the-air) HD broadcasts. They're free![/b][/color]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poll will be up in a minute.

The question is, who's your FAVORITE HD content provider OVERALL, i.e. taking everything into account- picture quality, price, customer service, reliability, ease-of-use, etc.

The poll option on this forum unfortunately only allows for a max of 10 choices. My apologies to fans of the smaller HD content providers not mentioned, such as Bright House, WOW!, Insight, RCN, SuddenLink, Mediacom, etc.

Feel free to give them kudos in the thread if you feel strongly about them.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not only is OTA free, it is also the best quality HD bar none...right up there with BluRay.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
I think everybody's favorite would be OTA if all of the channels were available. However, we all know that's never going to happen. I've had AT&T U-Verse for over a year and am very satisfied with it. I have TV, internet, and phone and am paying less than when I had Comcast with only TV and internet. I also have twice as many channels including about 60 HD channels with U-Verse, not counting the premium channels.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ Ah, my bad Ommie.

If you want to move it to something like the HDTV Programming forum (I assume that's the best place), be my guest.

Interesting poll results thus far. DirecTV and Verizon FiOS are completely dominating. All the cable guys are eating dust.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
OTA, because the quality's the best. I'd much rather have quality than quantity. Actually, I wouldn't mind both, but it doesn't seem to ever work that way.

If they'd cut the HD channels of the providers down to at least half, and put all the best stuff on those channels, and stop repeating stuff so often, which they could easily do if they really wanted to, since they're all only owned by a few companies, they might be more worth having. There'd also be more actual HD programming on each, and less of that upscaled SD, sometimes stretch-o-vision crap.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just wondering who compresses their HD content the most and who has the absolute worst customer service.

Then I can stay the hell away from them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
From what I know, DirecTV, based on the codec, has the best compressed content. Assuming that DirecTV follows Apple's standards of MP4, they use the MP4 container with the H.264 compression.

FiOS seems the clearest IMO.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm... I gather that the tremendous Verizon FiOS and DirecTV love evidenced in the poll results is primarily due to pic quality?

And, anything anyone doesn't like about these two providers?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryfatchocobo /forum/post/15568691

From what I know, DirecTV, based on the codec, has the best compressed content. Assuming that DirecTV follows Apple's standards of MP4, they use the MP4 container with the H.264 compression.

But doesn't DirecTV, prior to MPEG-4 compression, scale all content to a non standard interlaced resolution: 1280 x 1080i. Not 1920, but 1280. Or is that no longer the case?

AJ

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ Interesting question you pose. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guess not.

·
Registered
73 Posts
usenet, astraweb specifically. I find sat tv is far too expensive up here in canada and i cannot stand ads. Even using a pvr and having to fast forward just gets on my nerves

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thinking about getting Dish Network. Is this poll really accurate? My first instinct is to think that people are just voting for whatever provider they currently have and haven't really compared more than 2 of them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts