AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to HD, and currently have a SD Directivo. I'm trying to decide whether to go with Dish or D*. Channel packages are almost a wash for me, although it looks like Dish would be a few bucks cheaper on that score. I'm more concerned about whose HD DVR is more stable, any significant PQ difference, and does what it's supposed to do: record the shows I tell it to, reliably. Both apparently have the equivalent of season passes and manual timers, which are really all I use. Don't care about wishlists. I've been very happy overall with the Directivo - when it gets an occasional brain fart a reset fixes it. I'd prefer similar reliability in the HD DVR. I don't care about networking, or any other bells and whistles, as I have only one TV.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I used to have DirecTivos, and I now have Dish and I have checked out friends' DirecTV HR-2x. I found the Dish interface to be more intuitive than the new DirecTV DVRs. I like the remote design better as well. Based on my friends' experiences and mine, I would say my Dish DVRs are more reliable, but DirecTV has improved their software to the point that the difference is probably negligible. DirecTV probably has the edge in PQ in most cases due to their full-res, higher bandwidth signal.

Since you are already with DirecTV, I would recommend trying them out first. They should be able to offer you a 30-day trial to see if you like the equipment.

If someone was starting with satellite from scratch, I would probably recommend Dish just because I like their DVRs better. Other factors such as location play into this as well. DirecTV has the edge in local HD carriage overall. Before switching to Dish, I would make sure you can get the local channels you want in HD. If you want CW-HD, I think Dish only offers that in a couple of markets.

Ted

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, appreciate the info. I guess I'll try DirecTV, if they'll waive the $199 upfront fee for the DVR, and any charge to install the new dish (to keep me as a customer
).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.