AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just popped for this. Not sure why but at $45 I couldn't resist. I have been burned by DE and would just as soon lose it but I like the WHS backup features. We'll see. Hopefully drivers for my MoBo won't be a problem.

Either MS is really getting aggresive or they're dumping it. Wouldn't be the first product they've promoted and dropped at close to the same time.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I bought it last month at $50. It's quite a deal. At that price, just throw it on an old computer, and you will be up and running fast and cheap.

I actually purchased new HW to replace my old WHS v1 system. A Zotac H67 Mini ITX motherboard (6 internal SATA ports); i3-2100T low power processor (35W TDP); and a Lian Li PC-Q08B case (holds 6 internal hard drives).

I figure that if I ever recycle the system, then this hardware would also be great for an HTPC.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan /forum/post/20812228

$45 for WHS 2011? Either MS has really bombed on sales or they plan to drop 2011 at some point soon. Makes you wonder why WHS v1 is still $99.

From what I've read, a lot of people are sticking with v1 because of the drop of Drive Extender (that allows separate drives to appear as a single drive, and new drives to be added at a later date) from v2.

Drive extender was popular, and a must have feature for many people.

·
Registered
753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 /forum/post/20812342

From what I've read, a lot of people are sticking with v1 because of the drop of Drive Extender (that allows separate drives to appear as a single drive, and new drives to be added at a later date) from v2.

Drive extender was popular, and a must have feature for many people.

Yeah that was the main issue with v1 was the DE function. And after reading on how 2011 messes up the MP3 tag info, I will be glad to pay the $99 and just get v1.

Looks like 2011 isn't doing very well...from such a price drop of $120 when it was released to $45...something obviously isn't right.

·
Registered
753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett /forum/post/20810506

Good catch and thanks for this. Fortunately I only had one MP3 file stored (most of my music is in FLAC) but shame on MS for doing this without alerting the owner.

Agreed. From what I read it seems that FLAC isn't supported by MS so no chance of that data being messed with.

·
Registered
972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan /forum/post/20812228

$45 for WHS 2011? Either MS has really bombed on sales or they plan to drop 2011 at some point soon. Makes you wonder why WHS v1 is still $99.

I think both assertions are true. It's too bad too because I'm using WHS 2011 at present and in terms of stability, driver support and simple day-to-day use, I actually prefer it to v1. However, if the Microsoft developers had implemented three of my suggestions I think 2011 would have been more successful:

1: Base WHS 2011 off Windows 7 64 bit OS and include a home server app. IMO home users don't need the features of Server 2008.

2: Retain DE and folder duplication

3: Add software-based RAID4-like data protection (Flexraid, Unraid) managed within the home server app. This would have provided a more efficient alternative to folder duplication for larger data collections such as HD movies and video.

Well, at least MS gets half a point for responding to my suggestions to politely say thanks, but no thanks.

Honestly, the only reason I went with WHS 2011 was the $50 price tag and StableBit DrivePool, which so far is serving as a effective replacement for DE. I don't blame users who are happy with v1 not migrating to 2011. Why pay for fewer key features like DE?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.