AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I installed WHS 2011 on my server PC last week and while is backing up the clients as expected I messed up. It installed on one of the 1 TB drives. I should have disconnected all of the drives except for the DVD and 300 GB system drive from the old WHS V1 drive.

Attached is a screen shot of how it set up the drives. To fix do you recommend a partition copy program or a reinstall. What I want to wind up with is the OS on the 300 GB drives and 2 x 1TB drives for storage. The external WD 2.5 TB drive will be used for server backups (which currently won't work). Is it the 2 TB limit? Should I repartition it as 2 1TB partitions with a 500 GB small partion for the system drive?

Any help welcome. So far I'm happy but I am having these issues. I would like to correct them before I get too much data on them.

Thanks,

Terry

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would just clone the incorrect install drive (both it's primary and secondary partition) to the correct drive then be very very sure you boot to the correct drive and then you can format the other drive and reuse. I've cloned the WHS 2011 system drive without any issues.

I used Acronis Trueimage btw. Create the recovery CD, it has the tools to clone and works great.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagodraco
I would just clone the incorrect install drive (both it's primary and secondary partition) to the correct drive then be very very sure you boot to the correct drive and then you can format the other drive and reuse. I've cloned the WHS 2011 system drive without any issues.

I used Acronis Trueimage btw. Create the recovery CD, it has the tools to clone and works great.
Thanks. I'll give it a go. I have TI. Also EaseUs Partition Magic and Todo backup. Have used both with good results.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagodraco /forum/post/20874034

Well it didn't work for me. I used EaseUs and copied the partitions but I could not get it to boot. I tried a couple of boot repair programs to no avail. Anyway had to reinstall fresh. Only lost the client backups or more accurately the time to recreate the initial backups. The drives are set up now in a logical order.

Another problem I had was I could not get the server backup to backup to a WD 2.5 TB Elements USB drive. It was set up as a backup drive but it would fail for reasons I don't understand. Should I repartition it to 2TB + 500 GB?

I heard there was a 2 TB limit but I figured that was a backup limit, not a drive requirement.

Any help appreaciated.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj47 /forum/post/20878208

Well it didn't work for me. I used EaseUs and copied the partitions but I could not get it to boot. I tried a couple of boot repair programs to no avail. Anyway had to reinstall fresh. Only lost the client backups or more accurately the time to recreate the initial backups. The drives are set up now in a logical order.

Another problem I had was I could not get the server backup to backup to a WD 2.5 TB Elements USB drive. It was set up as a backup drive but it would fail for reasons I don't understand. Should I repartition it to 2TB + 500 GB?

I heard there was a 2 TB limit but I figured that was a backup limit, not a drive requirement.

Any help appreaciated.

I don't know about the Server Backup Target drive being limited. But it can not backup a source partition larger than 2.2 TB. I had a 3TB in a new build and it caused me no end of trouble. Considering this is is a new OS, it sure is a pile of dung. Sure it is based on a 2008 operating system but you would think it based on its 2011 label have better support for large drives. Sever backup can easily break and it does not seem to have the repair tools that were in version 1. Maybe there is a way to repair the Server Backup Database but I could only find version 1 instructions.

Worse when you look on the web for support solutions in general they are alway for version 1. My AC went down and has been down for 3 days now. I took the server down cuase I don't need any extra heat in the house. It was 109 here and for Houston that is insane. Getting service on AC units right now is wait, hope, pray, repeat.

I can only imagine how may alerts and critical errors that the server being down for several day is going to cause.

So far for me WHS2011 has been a pain in the arse and I am still trying to see the value add for all the trouble. With the recent rollup we have probably seen the bulk of the maintenance this product is going to get. I will hang with it a bit longer and if I don't see less trouble and more benefit, I will go to Version 1 or just turn it it to Win 7 file sharing box with some other back up solution

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray /forum/post/20880996

I don't know about the Server Backup Target drive being limited. But it can not backup a source partition larger than 2.2 TB. I had a 3TB in a new build and it caused me no end of trouble. Considering this is is a new OS, it sure is a pile of dung. Sure it is based on a 2008 operating system but you would think it based on its 2011 label have better support for large drives. Sever backup can easily break and it does not seem to have the repair tools that were in version 1. Maybe there is a way to repair the Server Backup Database but I could only find version 1 instructions.

-- 2+ and 3 TB drives have been out for months now. You would think they would deal with them.

Worse when you look on the web for support solutions in general they are alway for version 1. My AC went down and has been down for 3 days now. I took the server down cuase I don't need any extra heat in the house. It was 109 here and for Houston that is insane. Getting service on AC units right now is wait, hope, pray, repeat.

-- Yeah it's been hot here for the last few days. So far AC is hanging in there.

I can only imagine how may alerts and critical errors that the server being down for several day is going to cause.

-- I get them if my client machines take a little long to boot because of checking for updates!

So far for me WHS2011 has been a pain in the arse and I am still trying to see the value add for all the trouble. With the recent rollup we have probably seen the bulk of the maintenance this product is going to get. I will hang with it a bit longer and if I don't see less trouble and more benefit, I will go to Version 1 or just turn it it to Win 7 file sharing box with some other back up solution

-- My position as well. For me it is a backup machine for our personal data. Not a media server. So W7 with Robocopy could perform the same functions. But I'll give it a chance.

-- IMHO M$ is dumping this product. But for $45, it was worth a shot. For me, DE was not a good thing. I understand why many like it of course. Wait till they have a drive fail!

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
You probably forgot to set the master boot record on the 300GB drive after copying the partition.

Boot to the WHS DVD, choose Repair, then Command Prompt. Type "bootsect /nt60 ALL" (without the quotes) and hit enter. That should do it. And of course, make sure the BIOS is set to boot to the correct drive.

Those are the steps for Windows 7, I'm assuming the same options are available in WHS 2011 since they're based on the same core.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/20886023

You probably forgot to set the master boot record on the 300GB drive after copying the partition.

Boot to the WHS DVD, choose Repair, then Command Prompt. Type "bootsect /nt60 ALL" (without the quotes) and hit enter. That should do it. And of course, make sure the BIOS is set to boot to the correct drive.

Those are the steps for Windows 7, I'm assuming the same options are available in WHS 2011 since they're based on the same core.

I didn't have the option to boot to command prompt. Just install, and repair (which it couldn't). It's all running fine now. I just need to set up the server backup. I lost the client backups but these were not really archives just backups. So only real loss was the time to redo the initial client backups on three PCs. and of course the install.

Can anyone confirm that I should be able to use an "out of the box" WD Elements 2.5 TB USB drive for SERVER backup? Or not?

Thanks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No dice. Setting up the server backup wants to use the entire 2.5 TB drive which of course it can't. It will set it up for backup but it always failed when I tried a backup. Either scheduled or manual.

I have a 2 TB Elements drive on the HTPC for additional recordings. I'll swap it with the 2.5 TB. Maybe that will work. Come on M$.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj47 /forum/post/20878208

Any help appreaciated.

What is EaseUs? Also, why did you have to reinstall fresh? You should have still had your original boot drive (that you were cloning from) so there should have been no need to reinstall.

I'm just curious as disc cloning using proper tools is pretty standard stuff, shouldn't have any issues.

In any case I'd recommend using a different tool in the future. Acronis True Image is the best as far as I'm concerned. Just create the rescue CD or USB from the Windows application and keep it handy if you ever need to clone. You boot to it and use it's built in cloning tool. For future reference

·
Registered
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj47 /forum/post/20887008

No dice. Setting up the server backup wants to use the entire 2.5 TB drive which of course it can't. It will set it up for backup but it always failed when I tried a backup. Either scheduled or manual.

I have a 2 TB Elements drive on the HTPC for additional recordings. I'll swap it with the 2.5 TB. Maybe that will work. Come on M$.

Then you haven't partitioned the 2.5 TB drive down so that you have at least one partition under 2tb.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagodraco /forum/post/20887154

Then you haven't partitioned the 2.5 TB drive down so that you have at least one partition under 2tb.

The 2.5 TB drive shows up as 1953 GB and 374 GB. I used Computer-Manage-Disk Management to re-partition it. WHS doesn't seem to want to use a partition as a backup drive. I guess it uses the physical drive.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagodraco /forum/post/20887151

What is EaseUs? Also, why did you have to reinstall fresh? You should have still had your original boot drive (that you were cloning from) so there should have been no need to reinstall.

I'm just curious as disc cloning using proper tools is pretty standard stuff, shouldn't have any issues.

In any case I'd recommend using a different tool in the future. Acronis True Image is the best as far as I'm concerned. Just create the rescue CD or USB from the Windows application and keep it handy if you ever need to clone. You boot to it and use it's built in cloning tool. For future reference

EaseUs makes partition and backup software. I have Acronis but it's already licenced to this desktop PC. I have used EaseUs in the past to migrate the image of a disk to a new disk. Maybe I did something wrong. The partitions and contents were there when I viewed the drive in another machine. Anyway it's working now. I might have fought this more but it was easier to just reinstall. My next test will be to use the 2 TB drive as a backup drive. If that works then I guess it is what it is.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I have a 3 TB drive in my WHS2011 server. It was partitioned as a single volume in 2011. Later after supposedly succesfully backing up the volume several times it reported the error that it could not back up a volume with more than 2088958 megabytes. Stupid ass program.

So I figure okay, I will use storage management to partion the 3 TB volume into two partions.. wrong!!!!. As soon as I deleted the 3TB volume disk management only saw it at as a 768GB drive. I had to remove the drive from the server find another PC with a bios that supports large drives and a 64 bit OS.. well I did not have that exact combination of pieces configured. The Hitachi 3TB retail drive came with no software in the box and their web site did not show anything useful. Finally I found a small piece of paper in the bottom of the retail box that pointed me to a 3rd party site with an app that would partion the drive as a 2nd drive on a 32 bit windows box. Once that was done with a 2TB and a 1 TB volume I was able to migrate the drive back into the server and 2011 respected the partioning.. It was only later when I had the target backup drive turned off that Server BackuP had a fit and took it toys home and decided it was never going to play again.

If Server Backup Service was enabled it would turn off the Identity Service and one more critical service. So Backup could be enabled but you lost your users. Stupid, stupid software. Only solution I could find was reinstall.

My brother warned me not to use 3 TB drives, he did not warn me that you better keep your Server Backup Drive available at all times. Now maybe I could have done a repair and used the external backup to restore and not lost my client backups but I wanted to see WHS work properly for a few days without adventure and I did not trust the what was on the target back up drive. It was only by accident that my target backup drive was just a 2TB drive. I almost bought a 4TB version of the device I have.

All this begs the question: Is WHS2011 a useful device with its hardwired 2TB limits and no drive extender capability? I have not put any media on my server yet because I am not sure how it will behave with a big media store.

A 2TB drive might have seemed like a big deal when Server 2008 was being developed but it is far from ideal as the core of a video jukebox in late 2011.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
2 TB really doesn't cut it for video storage. I am now trying to figure out if WHS2011 is just a client backup system. It certainly doesn't seem to be appropriate for a video jukebox.

If I have that wrong explain it to me. I don't need 70 drive letters.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
The 2TB limit is only related to server backups and for the WHS boot drive (this is a BIOS limitation, not WHS). If you don't care about backing up the server drives, then the 2TB limit does not apply.

WHS 2011 itself supports up to 16TB per drive letter.

If you're wanting more control over things, you may want to look at using a Linux distro instead. It's got a learning curve, especially if you're not used to how Unix-based OSes do things, but it may serve your needs better.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I swapped out the 2.5 TB Elements drive for the 2.0 TB Elements drive and repartitioned and formatted it to the default cluster size. Set it up as a backup drive in WHS. It reported that it had 2 partions. Wrong! I started a backup. Climbed to 43% relatively quickly (10 min or so?). I'm thinking ye-aaah. Then I realized it was not incrementing above 43%. It sat there stuck for over an hour. I was about to post a failure. It was repainting the dashboard every so often. But no progress. Then all of the sudden 44%. I'm heading off to work now. Will see if it completes by tonight.

Next up after some air time is to add the guest room htpc as a client and start backups. I'll pull the system drive and see if a bare metal restore really works.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.