AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a WHS machine that I built more than four years ago. It is a gigabyte board, core2 quad and 4 GB of ram in a norco 4020. It is really starting to show its age and with the holidays coming I think it is time to move on to some new hardware. Having not bought any hardware for the last few years I am looking for recommendations for a processor and motherboard. The server runs home automation software, mymovies backend, Makemkv, handbrake, plex, Airvision and a couple Virtualbox VMs.

Is an i5 good enough for the transcoding needs or should I step up to an i7? Being an always on machine power usage is a consideration.

Who makes a decent motherboard for the recommended processor that can also expand out to 25+ sata ports? I have a supermicro expansion (PCI-E I think) card with 8 ports currently.

Thanks for any recommendations, if I left anything out let me know.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Microcenter

i7 4770K $200

ASRock Z87 Extreme4 $120

Jump on it!

I wish I had a Microcenter.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My guess 35 watts at idle and 100 watts under load not counting the all the hard drives. I doubt it will be much different with an I5

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb  /t/1500634/whs-2011-rebuild/0_100#post_23973966

My guess 35 watts at idle and 100 watts under load not counting the all the hard drives. I doubt it will be much different with an I5

Was thinking for a full machine (hard drives, Ram, PSU fans... etc.. )

It's not going to be more than 200 watts I can't imagine unless you put in a monster GPU card and actually an i7 haswell at idle uses almost nothing. (by traditional means) You can easily underclock and undervolt them too. They still tear the head off an i3, with good power savings. Haswell is about the most efficient serious CPU out now.. so I doubt power is going to be an issue. It's less than an older chip, or an AMD that's equal. There comes a point where you really can't save much more power, at least not without giving up what makes the 4770k awesome.

It's an incredibly powerful CPU for it's power consumption so the processing power to power consumption ratio is very good. Something that would use less power, would also not be anywhere near as powerful.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
What Quad do you have?

The quad will burn more watts than the I7 at idle. At full load it would probably an even race, except the I7 will be doing 4 times the work.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb  /t/1500634/whs-2011-rebuild/0_100#post_23975065

What Quad do you have?

The quad will burn more watts than the I7 at idle. At full load it would probably an even race, except the I7 will be doing 4 times the work.

Yup. That is the important part.

It's much like how a modern Corvette ZR1 gets about the same gas mileage as a 1999 Sedan. Difference being it's making way more horsepower doing it.

Wattage is probably the same, but the amount of processing power is much greater. Assuming you don't need the CPU running at 100% to get stuff done (you do not) then it's actually a lot more efficient and uses less power. The amount of energy it takes to get something done is really the important part, as that is the amount of energy it will actually consume.

Modern Haswell CPU are very efficient at idle and low use- It's not uncommon to see even an i7 down clock automatically below the stock clock speeds when on "low power" mode.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby  /t/1500634/whs-2011-rebuild/0_100#post_23989377

1999 Corvette Sedan? Love to see that one

I actually edited the sentence to say a Corvette and a 1999 Sedan (non corvette like a normal car) Older cars got worse gas mileage, and newer cars (even corvettes both ZR1 or other versions) get better gas mileage. Since the Vette is so light weight and geared tall, and the horsepower is excessive- If you were to drive it conservatively it would actually result in respectable gas mileage. This is a result of more modern technology and engineering, as well as the fact the corvette is capable of so much more that for a basic task like normal driving it excels with utmost ease. But if you need to go racing or faster of coarse the Vette is going to crush the Sedan in performance.

I think the CPU's are like that too. It's not that you would get lower power draw with the new i7 CPU but you would get way more performance. If you don't need it, you should have low power draw. But if you have a task that's actually going to peg your CPU at 100% you will be glad you have the i7 and it's doing 5 times the amount of processing. It might suck some power doing it, but the energy used to get the task done is actually lower.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by potts.mike  /t/1500634/whs-2011-rebuild/0_100#post_23990019

People seem pretty hot on the ASRock motherboards, any particular reason?

Good quality and good price. Fast restarts.... good stability and features. Easy drivers. Low frequency of issues. Asus is also good but more expensive, many other brands are often same price and cheaper but lack the quality and features of Asrock.

I have used cheap motherboards, and while they work- I often can see why some others costs more. If you are on a budget the ECS stuff is really cheap, but acceptable in quality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.