AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an acer Windows Home Server.

I've been using it to stream my music to my 360 and it does a way better job then my vista/win 7 pc ever did.

Anyone know if I can set it up to serve media as a media center via the xbox? I know I can on my pc.

I'm surpised I haven't heard any one talking about WHS and xbox before, anyone else got a WHS box?

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
i've had the acer h430 for 8 or 10 months... its been a pretty good box

as far as media to the xbox, my server is set up to broadcast (dlna?) so my windows media player sees all the music instantly without any setup, and the xbox does the same... i dont have to add any computer or anything, its just there (the name of the server) when i click music on the xbox.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have an acer whs also. I like using windows media center much better than the xbox player, so I still go through the computer.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems we all have the Acer server. I'm wondering through if it posible to use the Acer as the device that extends the MCE to the xbox 360 extended part??

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't think you can, about the only integration you get with Media Centre is the transcoding of recorded TV and the status plug-in that come with power pack 3. But you still need a Media Centre PC to connect the extender to.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer /forum/post/18260162

I'm wondering through if it posible to use the Acer as the device that extends the MCE to the xbox 360 extended part??

That is by far the single most requested new feature for WHS.

Three power packs later, we're still waiting...

You could fake it by installing a virtual machine but performance would likely suffer.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Darn, I was looking forward to when I saw a MCE section after installing Power Pack 3, I was hoping I was doing something wrong.

hmmnn.... No sure if virtulization run would very well on a mere atom processor or if there even capable.

Maybe I should have got on the expensive HP's with there dual 2.6ghz and media software

·
Registered
292 Posts
am I late to the party?? HAH sorry, but thought I'd bump this because here's my idea of WHS and 360. I believe, to use WMC you'd have to hook Acer Server to your comp that is using WMC. As I've seen on youtube.

Basically, you plug in your ACER to your home network, your comp picks it up. You then install the CD that it came with to your Windows PC with WMC installed. It then uses this as a storage and looks everything up from this location, just like it would do from its own hard drive, but now through ethernet. Am I correct?

I am thinking of picking one up soon also

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
yea, i can do it that way.... if my W7 desktop is running, it sees all the content on my acer in WMC or in the Extender WMC portion of the 360, and with divx preview and win 7 codecs it can play pretty much any video format out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts