AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows Home Server just isnt ready for prime time yet, IMHO. It really doesnt make anything easier at all for storage. Network shares were a pain in the ass (share drives would never reconnect on reboots), connecting to it through the console was slow sometimes , and sometimes it would just drop connections all together.

I loaded up WinXP64 and was greater immediately with faster boot times, and a zippier overall interface. I think it will do a much better job at serving up my movies and music for the house then WHS did.

What is everyone else's opinion on WHS?

·
Registered
4,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaLo6 /forum/post/12983586

Windows Home Server just isnt ready for prime time yet, IMHO. It really doesnt make anything easier at all for storage. Network shares were a pain in the ass (share drives would never reconnect on reboots), connecting to it through the console was slow sometimes , and sometimes it would just drop connections all together.

I loaded up WinXP64 and was greater immediately with faster boot times, and a zippier overall interface. I think it will do a much better job at serving up my movies and music for the house then WHS did.

What is everyone else's opinion on WHS?

I haven't had a single one of the issues you mentioned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
WHS is OK if you don't mind ridiculously slow transfer speeds...shares were straight forward and worked fine for me, but it is dog slow because of the DE implementation...I replaced it with a linux server and am very happy. After using ubuntu server, I wouldn't go back to a MS OS for server duties....

here is a link to the transfer speed issues, it is a known design limitation

·
Registered
465 Posts
I just built my first server specifically for media and storage. Initially, I lamented that I could not justify the $170 or so for WHS, which I had heard good things about (except the little data corruption thingy...) I figured that I would be stuck with XP Pro, or worse yet, some cryptic linux solution that was barely usable. How naive I was. Once I started looking around here on the subject, one name kept popping up: unRAID. Ick, one of those half-baked linux things, right? But hey, it was "free", and there seemed to be enough happy users, so I figured it would be worth a few minutes to check out. Well, a few minutes is all it took--but not to check out, to implement! I literally had a complete and running server within a FEW MINUTES of downloading the files. It was the quickest and most painless process I have ever had, and it WORKS GREAT. And did I mention that the whole dang thing runs off 30MB of files on a bootable USB flash drive???

I am an admitted MS fanboi, but I wouldn't stick an MS OS on my server right now if you paid me!

·
Registered
4,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoltz /forum/post/12984344

I just built my first server specifically for media and storage. Initially, I lamented that I could not justify the $170 or so for WHS, which I had heard good things about (except the little data corruption thingy...) I figured that I would be stuck with XP Pro, or worse yet, some cryptic linux solution that was barely usable. How naive I was. Once I started looking around here on the subject, one name kept popping up: unRAID. Ick, one of those half-baked linux things, right? But hey, it was "free", and there seemed to be enough happy users, so I figured it would be worth a few minutes to check out. Well, a few minutes is all it took--but not to check out, to implement! I literally had a complete and running server within a FEW MINUTES of downloading the files. It was the quickest and most painless process I have ever had, and it WORKS GREAT. And did I mention that the whole dang thing runs off 30MB of files on a bootable USB flash drive???

I am an admitted MS fanboi, but I wouldn't stick an MS OS on my server right now if you paid me!

Unraid has even slower write speeds than WHS from what I understand. The bigger issue though in my opinion is that it isn't running Windows. I currently have uTorrent, myTV, and myMovies hosting their entire databases for all of my Media Center PCs on my WHS server. Pretty sure the linux NAS can't do anything like that :p

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am a noob when it comes to this; I have barely got my feet wet. Heck, I am still running 100Mbps ethernet, but I can saturate that with 8-10MB/s writes, and it plays all my DVDs/MP3s/etc onto my HTPC or XBMC beautifully. How it might perform or not on GigE remains to be seen (my house is all Cat5e or Cat6, so all I need is the switch).

And I am also on XP Pro for all my PCs, so I don't even have an MCE or VMC front-end. I have started playing with GB-PVR, though. But since my unRAID box shows up as regular share on my network, and I map a drive to it just like I would to another windows device, any ability (or inability) of software to point to that share to store a db would seem to me a limitation on the PC side, not the server side. Or, not a limitation so much as an "extra" feature, that as you said, is only available when using a Windows-based back-end. If so, that's great, you are correct. That sounds like a compelling reason for you to be using a Windows-based server. Maybe I'll get there someday too. Right now, for what I am using it for, I won't change a thing.

And btw, you gotta stick out your tongue at me using the little p, like this
see???

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I've been very content with XP Pro x64 since I migrated back from Linux. The Server 2003 kernel is the most stable and mature to date, and you get it for a bargain price in the XP Pro package.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Just as an FYI, WHS is based on the Server 2003 kernel.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkole /forum/post/13194751

Can you setup a software RAID 5 with WHS?

No.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've been running WHS for a while now and don't have any complaints.

I'm no network guru but I like that if I run out of room I can slap a drive of any size and any type into the storage array without thinking twice and I like that it backs up all of my computers without me having to do anything.

Is it perfect? No. I really wish there was a smarter redundancy plan than to make 1:1 copies of everything but beyond that, I've got no complaints.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
yes, you can run Raid5 on WHS.

I am running a 3Ware 8Sata card Raid5. It is installed just like on XP. It shows up as a drive in WHS. It just isn't managed by WHS.

Edit...oops, you said Software Raid. Of course the 3Ware is Hardware Raid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts