AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to convert my home server into a media PC. Server specs: AMD Athlon 4850e 2.5ghz, 4gb of ram, running Windows Home Server. I will be putting it inside a home theater case, and I want to be able to run HDMI from the PC directly into my Pioneer receiver, which runs a single HDMI cable to the TV.

Can anyone recommend an optimal video card that will pass video/sound to the receiver, good for playing media, etc? Budget wise I'm looking to go as cheap as possible but still functional.

Secondly, does anyone know if Windows Home Server even supports video card HD decoding?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Radeon HD 5670, ~$90 (e.g. Sapphire ), or HD 5450, ~$50.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
WHS is a modified version of Server 2003. Any card that has drivers for Server 2003 should work just fine under WHS.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/18270813

WHS is a modified version of Server 2003. Any card that has drivers for Server 2003 should work just fine under WHS.

Right, but I'm specifically worried about the OS supporting the graphics card doing the video processing instead of the CPU since not all OS's do so.

Thanks, I'll check out the 5450, seems perfect for my price range.

·
Registered
837 Posts
also theres a 5550 thats in between. I've heard the 5450 has problems deinterlacing 1080i content to 1080p unless some stuffs turned off. I picked up the 5670 for $100 and it works great. Either one would suit your needs.

WHS is designed to be headless. Not sure if it'll work the way you want it to. I'm assuming a lot of services are just disabled ie windows audio so you might just need to turn them on to get everything working. I run a 2008R2 server and have been using it as my temp HTPC for a few days without a problem. I had to enable some services for everything to work but my 5670 works great, without a problem. I have a 965 proc, 3.4x4 so not sure which is doing the decoding. Also WHS is a crippled version of 2003SBS so be careful about modifying settings as it could "break" the WHS. Just makesure you have a backup just in case. I "broke" my WHS a few times changing settings to try to use a desktop and gaveup and switched to 2008R2 and couldn't be happier. Well maybe if it had Media center...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts