AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come the common lumen rating for many DLP units is 1000. Is that because of a common bulb or bulb type? I sure would like to see the lumens up around 2000 to fight off some ambient light. I realize I would sacrifice some blacklevel but it seems rare to see a projector up above the actual 2000 lumen level. Is there a technology barrier?

Tim Huey

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
there are dlp pjs that are around 2000 lumens. do a search on projectorcentral.com

James

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Is there a technology barrier?
Tim

Yes, the color wheel limits the amount of light available from the bulb. With LCD the light is split into three color beams with filters which reflect light of one color but transmit the rest. In other words, no light, or very little light, is lost. A DLP color wheel only lets through one color a once and the rest is simply wasted because there is nothing you can do with it – you can’t “store it up†for a while until the next color segment comes around, so it just gets dumped. This is obviously not as efficient as a 3 panel LCD.

The spiral color wheels (which are still under development I think) attempt to improve the situation be displaying all three colors simultaneously in bands. The filters reflect the light back into a sort of mirror chamber which sends it back to the color wheel. It gets reflected back and forth until it finds a way out of one of the filters. This apparently manages to increase the output be about 20-30% from the same bulb if I remember correctly.

Liam

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.