AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 62" Mits puked and I have begun looking into replacing it with a projector. . . . but. . . .the four that show the most promise each have a problem or two and none have a tuner or speakers so...why a projector when the cost is high even for economy models and they all seem to have problems. What am I missing? Thanks to all that reply with honest answers and information.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Because once you go to that size pic, it is extremely hard to go back to watching movies or playing games on a tv again, even if it is a 65" tv. There is NO substitute for the immersion you get with a large screen like a projector gives you. Also, bang for buck. Just look at the huge screen size you can get for the money and nowadays you can get some of the most popular projectors for less than a tv. Sure projectors have issues, but so do tv's.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, everyone is saying size and I understand that, but is that it? My viewing area is in the basement (yeah, pretty much a cave if I want) but the ceiling is a little less than 7' and the air ducts run right across in between the projector and the screen. My area is only about 11'6" X 16' so about 106" is about my max screen size, is it really going to knock my socks off (so to speak) or would a 65" -82" regular TV be good enough. Although not another Mits, once was enough. Again my thanks for taking my question seriously, I guess I just need that little shove to take the plunge.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It's a matter of usage:

Do you do your primary viewing in a well lit environment, then you're probably better off with a flat screen tv. If you watching with the lights off or at the very least, a dim environment, then get a pj.

Victor

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooLocsta /forum/post/18129613

100"+ is where it is at when watching a movie.

I agree

I had and Sanyo PLV-60 from 2002-07 I used it on a 100" DYI screen courtesy of this site. My current setup just consist of a 55" Hitachi I love the picture, but the movie theater feel is not there

·
Registered
1,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aducrejr /forum/post/18129776

I agree

I had and Sanyo PLV-60 from 2002-07 I used it on a 100" DYI screen courtesy of this site. My current setup just consist of a 55" Hitachi I love the picture, but the movie theater feel is not there

Do you plan on getting another projector ? I only ask because you said

"HAD a Sanyo PLV-60"

If you miss the theater feel why did you get rid of the Sanyo?

Just trying to figure out your thought process

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would recommend a projector if:

1. You watch a lot of High def materials such as Blu ray and High Def channels. SD channels will disappoint you.

2. You like bigger size and vitual theater experience

3. You have a decent audio system that can compliment your video experience

4. You have the ability to control your lighting.

Even with a 7' height, you can still have a very good 92" -110" 16:9 diagonal and 112" - 120" 2:35:1 screen sizes.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1094 /forum/post/18129177

My 62" Mits puked and I have begun looking into replacing it with a projector. . . . but. . . .the four that show the most promise each have a problem or two and none have a tuner or speakers so...why a projector when the cost is high even for economy models and they all seem to have problems. What am I missing? Thanks to all that reply with honest answers and information.

Yes, when it comes to movies, bigger is better. But, there's more. Only front projection offers the look and feel of the theater. Boss Alan offers a real look-see here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=561280

For so many here at AVS, it's a great adventure, a hobby for some, and serious one-upmanship for others.

PS: Once you go BIG it's so hard to go back. enjoy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My thanks to everyone. Your advice will be considered and when that final decision is made I'll let you know. This would be much easier if projectors were displayed but around here (S/E Michigan) no one does that.

beestea, that 72" LED LCD is high on my list.

Again, thanks for taking my question seriously, I thought this would be easy but to be honest, it ain't even close to being easy.

Scott

·
Registered
632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1094 /forum/post/18129177

I ran into your same situation a couple of years ago. I had a 65 inch rear pojection HD tv and it went bad, Samsung by the way, anyway I had Best Buys extended warranty, which I never buy, but seeing I was payin $2300 for this tv back in the day I figured I should.

Well 3 years into my 4 year warranty the tech came out replaced a CRT tube but it leaked onto the board and made it to much for him to justifey repair.

Long story short I got a $2300 credit at best but to buy a new tv. Well they no longer supported the sale of rear projection CRT tvs because DLP was the newest and greatest.

But at the time $2300 would only buy a 60" DLP and like stated earlier once you go to a certain size you cannnot go back.

Even though it was only 5 inches I could not pull the trigger and get the 60". I convinced the store manager at Best buy o give me a Sony projector and screen instead.

After using that set up for a year and a half convinced me to make a full blown home theater room.

A little bit long winded, but that is my story.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I understand your questions, and realize the difficulty of deciding. In my basement theater room I have a low ceiling (7.5'), so I table mount my projector. It's a Mitsubishi HC3800 and it creates an AWESOME image. The earliest models had issues but the current run is working well. I use a 92" diagonal screen and it's H U G E! You cannot believe how great that massive image is with blue-ray movies, or gaming w/PS3, or HD sports via DTV.

As someone said earlier, once you've sat in your theater room with that BIG screen, nothing else compares!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
After nigh on 6 years of using a projector, I can safely say that I will never, ever buy another television as long as I live.

Ever.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.