AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I could have put this question in the Onkyo 3009 & 5009 Receiver Thread. But I decided to make it a separate one so that it gets more attention from more people.

My question: Why does a receiver such as the Onkyo 5009 need two different video chips such as the HQV Vida chip and the Marvel Qdeo chip? I think both chips do pretty much same things, don't they? Can someone explain to me the benefits of having these two chips in one unit?

Would this, having both chips, make a good reason for a potential buyer to consider these newer units rather than previous year's models which has only the HQV chip?

How much of improvement the Vida chip is over the Reon chip? And how does the Vida chip compared to Realta chip?

Thank you.

Michaelmorio

·
Registered
349 Posts
If I recall from the Onkyo thread one chip does HD sources and the other SD that's why there's two...hopefully someone will elaborate on that.

·
Registered
12,370 Posts
The video processor does more than just upscaling & post-processing..

It is required for the OSD/GUI, transcoding and de-interlacing. The choice of processors is determined by price class and what software has already been developed and used in previous AVR generations. Also the cost of the video processors drop signficantly as they get older and are replaced by more powerful processors. Therefore in highly competitive AVR price points the brands try to extend their development $ investment by using the earlier processors as long as the features are not outdated..

Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code
The video processor does more than just upscaling & post-processing..

It is required for the OSD/GUI, transcoding and de-interlacing. The choice of processors is determined by price class and what software has already been developed and used in previous AVR generations. Also the cost of the video processors drop signficantly as they get older and are replaced by more powerful processors. Therefore in highly competitive AVR price points the brands try to extend their development $ investment by using the earlier processors as long as the features are not outdated..

Just my $0.02...
I am not complaining against Onkyo's decision on using 2 different chips in their AVRs. But given the fact that vast majority of products made by other makers, even their top end models costing more than these Onkyo use only one video chip. For example, one realta, gennum, HQV Reon, HQV Vida, Qdeo and likes from ABT.

I would like to know what exactly these 2 chips do in the Onkyo. And is putting 2 chips like Onkyo do is something that could be unique to Onkyo or something other makers maybe following?

Michaelmorio

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I thought people pretty much answered your question already
MCode covered the bases pretty well.

Not saying this is true, but say Onkyo had already implemented their GUI and On screen display using one chip. But another one is better for video processing. I could see them simply putting both chips into the receiver.

Also, there's a need for analog to digital conversion. One chip could possibly be there to do that.

So there's a number of potential scenarios, and a service manual is not going to answer all questions...you would need to talk to the engineers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.