AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live near NYC. Why do the dishnetwork local channel feeds look so bad. Specifically, Saturday and Sunday afternoons [football] the picutre on my Samsung 467DLP is lousy. THe players jerseys are pixelated. If I switch over to HBO or MTV the picture is better. At the same time the commercials on the locals don't look that bad but when they return to the game it is lousy. I have also noticed that the TV show ER on Thursdays at 10 PM seems to be really low bandwidth....ya know, a chracter will be talking and there mouth is moving but there forehead seems to stay still as though they are possessed.

Any ideas or is this old news and we are just waiting for HD with our wallets open???

FYI: I am using a PVR501

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
There are literally hundreds of L-I-L (Local-into-Local) stations vying for the restricted bandwidth on both the DISH Network and DirecTV satellites. The only reason they are there is because the Cable companies came up with the "but ya' can't get yer locals (off satellite)" campaign several years ago.

Try an OTA antenna. If you really live in an area where there are NO local channels available, then you should (legally and morally) qualify for the "white-area" national feeds, which may look a bit better.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
It did not used to be this bad. Back before Jan 2001, the satellite companies only had carry the local stations that they wanted. So you'd only have your ABC,NBC, CBS, FOX affilaites. The picture was great. This the SHIVA act started and forced the satellite companies to carry all of the stations in any local market that they served. This about triple the number of channels and required harsh compression to accomidate them. Hence everything now looks like crap.

FYI: I got a Dish 6000 w/ the OTA module. I now get my locals via an antenna and they look great. Plus you don't have to pay for locals anymore.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Dish is moving things around right now getting ready for super dish HDTV.

It was better.

It will get better again in November when they are done.

They play to add 20 HDTV channel this year.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
And how many of the HDTV channels will be non-PPV? They'll need to add a dozen in the 3.5 months to meet that target, ScottChez.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.