AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using MyMovies with MCE2005, and some of the online movies playback in a box, I mean there are black bands on all four sides, making the 50" plasma look like a 42" plasma.

I am not able to use either zoom, or "full" settings on the Marantz HD Plasma to enlarge them.

PS- These DVD's are online, some are boxed in, some are letterboxed, some are full screen??

What am I doing wrong ??

·
Registered
793 Posts
Which movies? They might be non-anamorphic (which means they're 4:3 aspect ratio with letterboxes on top and bottom). This would result in the image you're seeing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For example I just viewed The Italien Job, which is widescreen, I can understand letterboxing, but why the bands on the left and right sides? The picture looks like a picture within a picture. Is there anyway to get the zoom and full screen options to work?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by intexltd
For example I just viewed The Italien Job, which is widescreen, I can understand letterboxing, but why the bands on the left and right sides? The picture looks like a picture within a picture. Is there anyway to get the zoom and full screen options to work?
There is a difference between widescreen and anamorphic widescreen. The best way to describe the difference is widescreen pre-formats for 4:3 and the letterboxes are built into the picture so when it is viewed on a widescreen TV, it has the boxes on the side, which the display device is doing because there is no info to fill those areas. That is what you describe as PIP. It is using a 4:3 display, much like a standard TV broadcast does. Usually, you will have a zoom feature that can make a bigger picture.

Anamorphic can be manipulated and formated to fit the the viewing screen, regardless of the dimensions. The DVD player, or display device, is able to manipulate the data so it has the correct aspect regardless of the dimensions of the viewing screen if the DVD player is properly configured for the screen.

Here's a link that better describes it.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...namorphic.html

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I vaguely understand, but how can I resolve this when using MyMovies ? I am now using the dvd decoder from PowerDVD, if I were to switch to the decoders from NVidia, do you think it would solve the problem, or is windows media player unable to handle this, and I need to use TheaterTek?

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's not a matter of handling the problem. PowerDVD has feature that can zoom the display. It's a matter of having a DVD player that can zoom to fill the screen. The decoder will not help as it can only decode what it's given. Also check your settings on whatever you use to play DVD's. If it is shown on a 16:9 screen, make sure the player is set to 16:9.

If the content you are playing is non-anamorphic, you are going to get the display you describe regardless of player. Just get one that can zoom to fill the screen. The best advice is rent the anamorphic DVD instead of downloading movies. The movies you download from various pay-per-view sites format the movies for 4:3 monitors, even though they are widescreen.

It is not a problem with the player. The problem is you are trying to view 4:3 content on a widescreen. Get content created for widescreen format.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The DVD's are mine, not downloaded. I will check to see the player MyMovies is using, and see if it has zoom.

Where do I set zoom = 3 in MCE ?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Zoom can make the picture less sharp. Does anybody know how many inches of height you lose to the black bars on a 50" 16:9 set when you play a 2:35 - 1 anamorphic dvd? I know its way less than on an old-style 4:3 set, but exactly how much is it? I am trying to see if i can make do with a 50" set to make my wife happy, as we will be close to the set (8-1/2' away), plus she doesnt want to spend the money for a 60" set. I just want to be sure my movies will be impressive enough on a 50" set (the movies with the big special effects).

Also, since i have obviously forgotten my geometry, does anyone have the screen dimensions in height and width for 50" and 60" screens in general? The overall screen dimensions when totally full of picture (no letterboxing).

I totally understand the concept of letterbox, but i hate the looks of it.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman
Zoom can make the picture less sharp. Does anybody know how many inches of height you lose to the black bars on a 50" 16:9 set when you play a 2:35 - 1 anamorphic dvd? I know its way less than on an old-style 4:3 set, but exactly how much is it? I am trying to see if i can make do with a 50" set to make my wife happy, as we will be close to the set (8-1/2' away), plus she doesnt want to spend the money for a 60" set. I just want to be sure my movies will be impressive enough on a 50" set (the movies with the big special effects).

Also, since i have obviously forgotten my geometry, does anyone have the screen dimensions in height and width for 50" and 60" screens in general? The overall screen dimensions when totally full of picture (no letterboxing).

I totally understand the concept of letterbox, but i hate the looks of it.
Why would you want to cut off the sides of a WS 2:35:1 DVD? Anamorphic DVD's give you full resolution.

As to the black bars, They are approx 3-4" on my 65" display. Never measured it though. My viewing distance is 13 ft. To best answer you questions, take your favorite anamorphic DVD to the store, have them play it and see for yourself before you buy.

·
Registered
765 Posts
intexltd,

While the DVD is playing, press the MORE INFO button on the MCE remote (or the context menu key on a regular keyboard -- you know, the one between the right-hand windows logo and ctrl keys), then on the popup menu keep clicking on Zoom as it cycles from 1 to 3 The icons are self explanatory. It also works for TV, and MCE is smart enough for keep track of them separately, which is a great thing, as all my 4:3 TV viewing is on zoom 2, so that it fills the entire screen. We watch DVD's with black bars (zoom 1, and occasionally zoom 3).

yankeeman,

I've just checked the Fellowship of the Rings on my 50", and the black bars are just about 3" each.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yankeeman: Screen dims are :43.5 " x 24.5 "

I just tried to use the zoom feature, and now all the online movies are stuttering (playing, then stopping for 3 seconds, then playing for 3...) This is the second time this has happened. The last time it went away for some reason??

Any ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.