AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
something has always puzzled me since i pieced together my budget HT a few years ago. for whatever reason, all of the other sources which run through my JVC RX-9010 5.1 receiver are noticeably louder for any given volume setting than my DVD player (2 yr old panasonic progressive scan - a decent one for it's day). as an example, at a volume setting of 60 (out of 1-100), my 5.1-enabled digital cable is CRANKIN', but when watching a DVD i can max out my receiver to about 75 (before clipping kicks in auto-shutdown on the peaks) and i'm still looking for more. what would cause this?

my most obvious guess is that for whatever reason the receiver is not getting as much signal/output from the DVD player as it is from my other sources. there is much more dynamic range out of my DVD, but the "average level" is just not as loud.

i am running good ( not the best, but good) quality wires - on my DVD i'm using optical, cable is a digital coax.

any ideas? is the "average" volume level of your average DVD just "lower"? or is there some setting on my receiver that can adjust the output of a specific source (i'll look again, but i haven't found one)?

TIA, folks...

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'd say that if you are clipping and wanting more you are under powered. :)

As for different level sources. All my sources are different, even channels on cable are different. Different CD's are different, tapes, etc.... Not a lot you can do about it. You could try a different DVD player if it is the only source that isn't up to snuff.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Signal strength is not linked to sound level for digital signals. Your DVD player is just fine. DVDs/movies are recorded at a lower average level to provide more headroom for dynamics more like cCDs of classical music. I would expect that your average TV channel compresses/limits the sound level like most pop and contemporary music CDs do, so they can be played back at a higher average level trying to make a certain product/track to stand out from the rest.

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered
609 Posts
I tend to think that what I said previously is most likely the case. Your system is underpowered for your room and listening habits. Just my guess.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Clipping is usually due to an under powered receiver or amp driving speakers with a difficult impedance curve and/or low sensitivity. Try to run all speakers as small with a good subwoofer for bass. It will be more difficult to induce clipping. It is also a good idea to remember that clipping kills tweeters and is hard on the equipment.

If you want "loud", you need to design the system to play loudly without distortion. High sensitivity speakers are a good start followed by a separate amp and a good subwoofer. Most receivers can't safely do "loud" in multi-channel setups.

Bill

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Most receivers/processors allow different level settings for different inputs, so you may want to check your speaker level settings for your DVD input. You may be able to increase the overall sound level from DVDs by setting the center speaker at or near its highest level and then matching the other channels at that level. Be sure your volume level is set to your reference (preferred listening level, or 75 dB at least) before you start, and use a RS or other sound pressure level meter.

Dsmith

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
like i said, it IS a "budget" system! LOL

and rest assured (MrMcGoo), since i found out that the auto shut-off occured at "75", i've kept my listening level to 70 or below on DVDs!!! it's loud at that level (too loud for the wife, haha) - just not REALLY loud (again, LOL). perhaps too many years of drumming have rendered me deaf.

re: sensitivity of speakers - i assume you mean "efficiency" (ie - XX [email protected] 1watt/1meter). right now, i'm running 4 klipsch SA-1s (92db sens.), SC-1 (95db), and a velodyne CHT-12 sub. i know, not the best, but for under $600 for the whole rig new (ebay/ubid), i'm okay with it. anyway, from what i've seen of 'specs", these are relatively efficient speakers, right? obviously i can do better w/respect to sound quality, but in terms of sheer SPL, is it just a function of more power? which leads to my next question...

re:receiver - i understand what i have with my JVC RX-9010. it IS what it is - the "top" model in JVC's low-end line, with additional features being present in it's ability to handle a larger # of inputs, a decent set of speaker adjustments (small/large, adjustable LFE crossover, etc.) and it's switching capability. most of the junk they sell at CC is similar (ie - 100W x 5/7 channels). if i want to take the plunge for more power, are the "high end" receivers (sony ES/pioneer ELITE/Denon) the way to go, or run separates? and which of the companies receivers have the most headroom/dynamic range? from what i gather, headroom is as important (if not more so) as rated continuous power output.

again, thanks for your input - i'm an enthusiastic hobbyist at this point, but certainly no expert, so i appreciate your replies! :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
drumsky,

If you like the sound quality and features of the JVC receiver, a separate amp would be a good start. The Rotel RMB 1075, Marantz MM9000 or Outlaw amps would be a good place to start looking for amps. The receiver would be hooked up to the amp via the pre-outs.

I have the same brand, different model of speakers, Klipsch. My speakers have an impedance dip down to 3 ohms at 76 Hz. I usually use less than 1 watt of power. If I listen at 85 db, the dynamic peaks can go as high as 105 db. The 105 db peak will take about 100 times the power of the 85 db listening level. Home theater takes lots of power. The load is reduced by running my speakers as small and letting the sub do the low bass.

Bill

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when the kid graduates from college in the spring, i'm gonna start doing my homework more seriously. although i think a DLP will come before i go about upgradng my sound. LOL

which klipschs are you running? i find mine to be a bit harsh. but like i said, the price was right. i have also seen where some folks running different receivers have less of a "harshness" problem. what receiver/amp do you use?

·
Registered
109 Posts
In my previous post I think I answered part of drumsky's question. If you play back all sources at the same (highest) level your system allows and DVD is still too soft then, of course, you will need more power. Especially if you want the explosions etc. to have real impact you will need lots of headroom and power as others have pointed out. Personally I run more than 1800 watts on various amps and many speakers, that allows for nice peaks without a hint of clipping or distortion.

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered
813 Posts
drumsky,

I run RF-7s on a Pioneer VSX-49TXi with a B&K amp for my mains. The subwoofer is an RSW-15. I have never had a shutdown. My ears give out first. There is no harshness with the re-equalization engaged.

Bill

·
Registered
Luxman 507uXii | Klipsch Forte III | Stereo Rel T7i | 77" LG G1 | Lumin U1 Mini | Denafrips Pontus I
372 Posts
I'm a little late to this thread but I'm using the Rx-8030 which uses all the same hardware minus a few hookups. I am pretty happy with the way it sounds, and have not had the problem of playing DVD's at 70 on the volume scale. I usually set it at 35 - 40 and leave it. No clipping, but it is still pretty loud. I set it up for my 3 year old around 25 - 30.

My cable is usually between 20 - 30. I can't imagine getting it up past 45. I'll listen to some cd's this loud but it's only for very short periods.

I'm using paradigm Esprit, CC270, Focus(rears), PDR12. All set to small. Bass boost off. I find it works quite well except you can notice the lack of power to all channels when using the back surrounds for 6.1. For this reason i'm starting to look for a decent 2ch amp for the mains. Overall i'm quite happy with it though. Easy to use and fair power for the price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.