AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I upgraded from my old Motorola digital SD cable box to a new Motorola 6208 HD box, I could not believe how loud it was. The installer insisted that this was normal and plugged in another 6208 to prove it. The only way to shut it up is to unplug it as the noise continues even when it is turned off. The Comcast technician told me that all HD cable boxes generated a lot of heat that requires a fan to be running at all times. He did not, however, know why the HD boxes had to generate so much heat.

Is there any hope for a quiet HD Cable Box/PVR in the future, or is this some inherent technical reality that we just have to live with?

· Registered
3,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by will2005
He did not, however, know why the HD boxes had to generate so much heat.
Digital STB's are essentially computers that execute a few different, pre-defined programs. The task of one of those programs is to decode and decompress a digital TV signal. The decoding and decompression of an HD signal requires a faster, more powerful processor than required for an SD signal. Fast, powerful processors generate more heat than slower, less powerful ones do.

· Registered
16,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by will2005
When I upgraded from my old Motorola digital SD cable box to a new Motorola 6208 HD box, I could not believe how loud it was. The installer insisted that this was normal and plugged in another 6208 to prove it. The only way to shut it up is to unplug it as the noise continues even when it is turned off. The Comcast technician told me that all HD cable boxes generated a lot of heat that requires a fan to be running at all times. He did not, however, know why the HD boxes had to generate so much heat.

Is there any hope for a quiet HD Cable Box/PVR in the future, or is this some inherent technical reality that we just have to live with?
PVR boxes run their disk drives 7/24/365 even if the unit is turned "off" this is why they generate a lot of heat and require a fan. A non pvr tuner STB does not need a fan since it does not have a disk drive running. The fans on some units of the same model make more noise than others. There is not much you can do other than toput the unit behind glass to reduce the noise being generated out to the room since the installer allready showed that a another drive created the same amount of noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.