AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a burning question that maybe some of you would be able to answer. In looking at new cabling, I hadn't really considered my digital audio connections.

For analog audio or video, I can absolutely understand the need for high-quality cables. Any disruption of the signals on that cable, and the image is directly distorted.

However, for digital it's just a bunch of 1s and 0s. It's either a 1 or a 0, there is no in-between distortion (and I would hope that there is some sort of parity-checking on the hardware to ensure that the data is valid). I would think then that the cable would either work or it wouldn't. Any loss or corruption of data would cause immediate and noticeable disruption in the stream.

Anxiously awaiting someone to correct me.

Pete

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't think you DO need quality cables for digital. I just like to buy something that makes a good connection and can stand being plugged/unplugged many times and that won't degrade.

Henning

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I have 5 Silver Serpent component, 1 silver S S-video and 1 silver serp for compositte from VCR; and a 500 MHz switcher for a Premium Quality view AKA PQ

:)

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
buy cheap digital cables then invite that guy over with the silver serpents for a double blind test. You'll be happy you only spent $20.

Bought all mine from pccables.com

cheapest and are made well. If your not as lazy as me you can build your own with Belkin components and coax. Search "Belkin" or "Canare"here

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.