AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good quality sound transparent screen and motorized would be preferred. They all seem to be encredible expensive. Is there something I've missed or is simply this the case?

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
Motorized screens have complex designs in order to keep the screen flat after many up-down cycles. Their mechanics (motors, guides, tension wires, etc) have to be robust so they don't fail after a few months. The good ones are designed to work for years with multiple daily uses and only minimal maintenance. A perforated screen (which provides the acoustic transparency) is also more difficult to make than a solid screen.

If you don't mind ripples in the screen's surface, you might want to consider a manual pull-up screen instead. They're quite a bit less expensive. To let audio through, they usually have perforations in the black section which is below the non-perforated screen area.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Selden.

Ripples in the surface doesn't tempting but I guess it depends how bad it is.

Is it possible to get Screen Research ClearPix 4K in a manual pull-up? Or Screen Excellense Enlightor 4K? These look like the best transparent screens.

And what about DIY and pull-up, is that something that can work well without having great carpenter skills?

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
I haven't been in the market for a projection screen for quite a few years. A quick Web search suggests that Screen Research products might be available only in motorized or fixed panel configurations, although that surprises me. They also seem to be selling to the "premium" product market, so high prices aren't all that surprising.

If you're trying to save money, you might want to consider other manufacturers, like Da-Lite, perhaps.

·
Registered
30,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omholt  /t/1524983/why-are-motorized-sound-transparent-screens-so-expensive#post_24547907

Thanks Selden.

Ripples in the surface doesn't tempting but I guess it depends how bad it is.

Is it possible to get Screen Research ClearPix 4K in a manual pull-up? Or Screen Excellense Enlightor 4K? These look like the best transparent screens.

And what about DIY and pull-up, is that something that can work well without having great carpenter skills?

No.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolmaster  /t/1524983/why-are-motorized-sound-transparent-screens-so-expensive#post_24548755

What do you consider expensive and for what size?
Around 85" in size.

Price? Wanting something of high quality and at a reasonable price may be a problem.... Unless there are products that are bang of bucks here. I've also found that in audio categories but here I'm clueless.

Keeping it at a maximum of approximately $3300 would be nice though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts