AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ehome 8500lc projecting onto a 96" wide screen. I've been fiddling with this projector for a month or so now and have almost everything perfect, except for the colors.

I used Avia to calibrate brightness, contrast, saturation and hue, but now all images look like they were shot at night or right before an impending thunderstorm. I thought it might be a general low-lumens problem, so I picked up a cheap da-lite with a 2.5 gain and now I can see the picture with the room lights on, but it hasn't made the colors any more vivid.

I also seem to have a (probably related) range problem. I've been fiddling with dscaler and if I want good shadow detail (da-lite or not) I have to either bump up the brightness or fiddle with dscaler's gamma filter. Both approaches end up giving me white clipping, although the gamma filter is generally less objectionable.

I am currently using a geforce2 mx card and am waiting delivery of a radeon 8500 to replace it. But, when I had this same video card connected to my toshiba tw56x18 rptv I did not notice this kind of muted colors effect.

Do you guys have any suggestions for things that I can try?

·
Registered
139 Posts
The blue channel is normally used to set the hue and saturation. If your color temp and or color decoder is off then you can get muted colors. You may be driving way blue at 10-12K instead of 6500. First check your color decoder using the red and green bars and turn off or cover unused guns if possible to get more accurate readings. The actual color temp shouldn't affect the color sat that much unless you are really driving blue way too hard.

Good Luck, Don

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.