AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume that is so because it may be for a structural reason but a more rectangular shape could also be braced enough for solidity reasons. I am bringing this up because most subwoofers to me anyway are not all that attractive and I think a slimmer shape would 1. look better especially if you have a significant other to keep happy & how many here have had to negotiate with their S.O. to allow a large sub in the living room? and 2. be easier to place in room because it would not be so unwieldy, since a cubical shape juts out more into the room.

Anyone have any opinions about this?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutfan /forum/post/20848208

I am bringing this up because most subwoofers to me anyway are not all that attractive and I think a slimmer shape would 1. look better especially if you have a significant other to keep happy & how many here have had to negotiate with their S.O. to allow a large sub in the living room? and 2. be easier to place in room because it would not be so unwieldy, since a cubical shape juts out more into the room.

How slim are we talking? It needs to at least contain the driver, amp, and if it has one, the port. That kind of limits what you can do with the shape.

There are some subs that are taller than they are wide, such as Epik's subs and some of Hsu's models. Although they are deep (going front to back), but you can always reorient it. And there's the SVS cylinder subs that have a small footprint and are much taller than they are in circumference.

You can also build one yourself, and some companies, like Elemental Designs, can do a custom cabinet (within certain parameters) if asked.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
If you want to hide it completely then build it yourself into an ottoman, end table or tv stand. Infinite Baffle is a great way to hide huge sound as well.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse99 /forum/post/20849244

I've seen this B&O in "tulip design" in an aluminum/composite shell. Expensive though (about 2-3K!!)
I wonder if anyone has auditioned these units, and how good they perform in addition to their strange shape and interesting aesthetics? They claim "breathtaking sound quality".

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beolab11

It looks great, and I bet it sounds really good, but I think you can do better for $3000 with more tried and true designs.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse99 /forum/post/0

I've seen this B&O in "tulip design" in an aluminum/composite shell. Expensive though (about 2-3K!!)
I wonder if anyone has auditioned these units, and how good they perform in addition to their strange shape and interesting aesthetics? They claim "breathtaking sound quality".

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beolab11

According to the tech specs link on the site, it's a 16 lb. sub with a 200 watt amp.

And is 10db down at 33hz!

It seems a bit of a stretch to even call that a sub. Not even good specs for a mid bass module.

B&O sometimes sacrifices function for form, but this is a bit over the top. Does look cool though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumbull247 /forum/post/20848533

I don't know how good it is...butt(I mean but)...

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Resea...3908913&sr=1-1

Now that's thin. I wonder though if it has probelms with internal relfections with the driver being located so close to one wall.

Quote:
But, if interested, this is the real deal...
http://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Speak...3908913&sr=1-2

Nice, though for $1200 it had better be!

Quote:
If you want to hide it completely then build it yourself into an ottoman, end table or tv stand.

I have actually thought about doing this but you never know where a subwoofer will sound its best, so unless such a subwoofer included a really good room correction system, I had to give up on that plan.

The B&O subwoofer seems nice for someone with a very modern room and do not need extreme low frequency performance but for that price I could live with a fat cube
that can reach those fun frequencies newer movies include.

I found plans at partsexpress for a thin sbuwoofer using 4 6.5" woofers called the Boogieman http://www.parts-express.com/project...ject=Boogieman

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have seen and heard a couple of those MLs at Best Buy Magnolia department and liked the way they sounded, very clean and deep. I think they look pretty nice too and no need to try and hide them.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I designed a tv stand this morning that allows room for 4 15's in two dual opposed boxes on the end. A place for the center channel and all supports. I know the drawings suck...just to give you the idea...you can also tailor to your own needs as I have done here. I plan on building this eventually. 84.5" W x 30" H x 24" D.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts